Transverse wave particle speeds

In summary: Glad to help. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum and minimum speeds of particles on a cord represented by a transverse traveling wave. The correct approach is to take the first derivative of the displacement function with respect to time, not displacement, and to note that the minimum value of cosine does not correspond to the minimum speed. The correct solutions for the maximum and minimum speeds are 1.94 m/s and 0 m/s, respectively.
itryphysics

Homework Statement

A transverse traveling wave on a cord is represented by D = 0.38sin(5.1x+30t) where D and x are in meters and t is in seconds. Determine maximum and minimum speeds of particles of the cord.

Homework Equations

First derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the first derivative with respect to x

dx/dD = (5.1) .38cos(5.1x+10t)

cosine's max value is at 1 so i set cos(5.1x+30t) = 1

then I solved : (5.1)(.38)(1) = 1.94 m/s
Im not sure if this is right. All help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
itryphysics said:
I took the first derivative with respect to x

dx/dD = (5.1) .38cos(5.1x+10t)
Firstly let's clear up some notation.

[tex]\frac{dD}{dx}[/tex]

represents the derivative of D with respect to x.

Secondly, why are you taking the derivative with respect to x?

yes sorry that was honestly a typo. but thank you.

I was taking the derivative with respect to x because of speed's definition. so i thought by taking it with respect to x instead of time, i wud be getting the rate of change of distance...

itryphysics said:
I was taking the derivative with respect to x because of speed's definition. so i thought by taking it with respect to x instead of time, i wud be getting the rate of change of distance...
But the definition of speed is the derivative of displacement with respect to time? Why would you want to find the derivative of amplitude with respect to displacement?

ok thank you for clearing that up. it makes sense now. so apart from the confusion in the derivation, the way i solved the problem ,is that still the route i will take to solve it?

itryphysics said:
ok thank you for clearing that up. it makes sense now. so apart from the confusion in the derivation, the way i solved the problem ,is that still the route i will take to solve it?
Yes, differentiating D with respect to time will give you the velocity of a particle on the cord at position x and time t.

A word of warning when finding the minimum speed: note that the minimum value of cosine does not correspond to the speed.

Wouldnt the minimum speed be 0?

and when i take the derivative with respect to t, i calculate the v as 30(.38) I am getting 11.4 m/s. However, the homework program is not accepting it as the correct answer. Any more suggestions?

itryphysics said:
Wouldnt the minimum speed be 0?
Yes, that was the point I was making. The minimum value of cosine is -1, but this corresponds to the maximum rather than minimum speed, but it looks like you've already got it figured out.

itryphysics said:
and when i take the derivative with respect to t, i calculate the v as 30(.38) I am getting 11.4 m/s. However, the homework program is not accepting it as the correct answer. Any more suggestions?
Care to elaborate on your attempt? It's difficult to see where you're going wrong without seeing your solution.

sure. D = 0.38sin(5.1x+30t)
so dt/dx = (30)(0.38)cos(5.1x+30t)
and again since we obtain cosine's max value at 1 i am setting cos(5.1x+30t) = 1
hence ===> (30)(.38)(1) = 11.4 m/s

I guess the derivative has a glitch in it somewhere..please let me know

itryphysics said:
sure. D = 0.38sin(5.1x+30t)
so dt/dx = (30)(0.38)cos(5.1x+30t)
and again since we obtain cosine's max value at 1 i am setting cos(5.1x+30t) = 1
hence ===> (30)(.38)(1) = 11.4 m/s

I guess the derivative has a glitch in it somewhere..please let me know
Except for your notation (dt/dx => dD/dt), your solution looks fine to me.

oops, thank you again. My only bet is that the homework may have been programmed incorrectly.
Thanks for the help mate.

itryphysics said:
oops, thank you again. My only bet is that the homework may have been programmed incorrectly.
Thanks for the help mate.
No worries.

Related to Transverse wave particle speeds

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side as the wave moves forward.

2. How does the speed of a transverse wave compare to that of a longitudinal wave?

The speed of a transverse wave is typically faster than that of a longitudinal wave. This is because the particles in a transverse wave have a greater distance to travel in a given amount of time, as they are moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

3. What factors affect the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave is affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. The wavelength and frequency of the wave also play a role in determining its speed.

4. Can the speed of a transverse wave change?

Yes, the speed of a transverse wave can change if it enters a different medium with different properties. The change in speed is due to the interaction between the wave and the particles of the new medium.

5. How is the speed of a transverse wave calculated?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. This is known as the wave equation: v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.