Transverse Wave Incident on Absorbing Surface: Pressure & Energy Density

In summary, the conversation discusses a light wave traveling in the z-direction with Electric and B fields in the x and y directions, respectively. The E and B fields are independent of the x and y directions, and the speaker is trying to show that for a transverse plane wave incident on an absorbing surface, the pressure exerted on the screen is equal to the energy density per unit volume. This is done by considering the momentum density of the wave itself, and reducing the expression to the energy density plus the scalar product of B and nabla acting on B, as well as E. There is confusion about the notation used for nabla, and the speaker is unsure about its meaning in this context.
ptabor
Suppose a light wave is traveling in the z-direction.
Then the Electric field is in the x direction, and the B field is in the y direction.

My understanding is that these E and B fields are independent of the x and y directions, respectively. This is to say, that if I take the partial derivative of E with respect to x, I get zero - Likewise for B and y.

I'm trying to show that for a transverse plane wave incident normally on a perfectly abosrbing surface, starting from the conservation of linear momentum, that the pressure exerted on the screen is equal to the energy density per unit volume.

Since we're in vacuum there is no charge or current density, and I only have to consider the momentum density of the wave itself (no mechanical momentum density for the charges). I reduce the expression to something that is the energy density plus the scalar product of B and nabla (or del, whichever you prefer) acting on B - likewise for E. I need to show these are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
ptabor said:
Suppose a light wave is traveling in the z-direction.
Then the Electric field is in the x direction, and the B field is in the y direction.

My understanding is that these E and B fields are independent of the x and y directions, respectively. This is to say, that if I take the partial derivative of E with respect to x, I get zero - Likewise for B and y.

I'm trying to show that for a transverse plane wave incident normally on a perfectly abosrbing surface, starting from the conservation of linear momentum, that the pressure exerted on the screen is equal to the energy density per unit volume.

Since we're in vacuum there is no charge or current density, and I only have to consider the momentum density of the wave itself (no mechanical momentum density for the charges). I reduce the expression to something that is the energy density plus the scalar product of B and nabla (or del, whichever you prefer) acting on B - likewise for E. I need to show these are zero.

I am probably asking a stupid question...but what do you mean by nabla of B? You are not talking about [itex] {\vector \nabla} \cdot {\vec B} [/itex] since this is a scalar. So you mean what exactly? ([itex] {\partial B_x \over \partial x } + \ldots [/itex]? But that's not nabla applied to B)

:-( The tex editor does not accept my symbol \nabla

Last edited:
[itex] {\vector \nabla} \cdot {\vec B} [/itex]
Hmm...
[tex]\nabla[/tex]
[itex]\nabla[/itex] [itex]{\nabla}[/itex]
[itex]\vec\nabla[/itex]

Related to Transverse Wave Incident on Absorbing Surface: Pressure & Energy Density

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium (such as a string or a rope) vibrate perpendicular to the direction in which the wave is traveling. This is in contrast to a longitudinal wave, where the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave.

2. What happens when a transverse wave is incident on an absorbing surface?

When a transverse wave is incident on an absorbing surface, the energy of the wave is transferred to the surface, causing it to vibrate. The amplitude of the wave decreases as it passes through the absorbing surface, and some of the energy is converted into heat.

3. How does a transverse wave affect the pressure on the absorbing surface?

A transverse wave can cause fluctuations in pressure on the absorbing surface. As the wave passes through the surface, it pushes and pulls on the particles, creating areas of high and low pressure. This pressure variation can be measured and analyzed to determine the properties of the wave.

4. What is energy density in relation to a transverse wave on an absorbing surface?

Energy density is a measure of the amount of energy per unit volume. When a transverse wave is incident on an absorbing surface, the energy density of the wave decreases as it passes through the surface. This is due to the conversion of some of the energy into heat.

5. How can the pressure and energy density of a transverse wave on an absorbing surface be calculated?

The pressure and energy density of a transverse wave on an absorbing surface can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the specific properties of the wave and the surface. These calculations often involve measuring the amplitude and frequency of the wave, as well as the properties of the medium it is traveling through.