Transverse Wave Homework Problem

In summary, the given function describes a wave on a taut string with x in meters and t in seconds. The transverse speed at a point with a displacement of 12.0 cm can be found by using the equation w*A, where w is the velocity of the wave in the x direction and A is the amplitude. The max transverse acceleration can be found using the equation w^2*A. To find the velocity of the wave in the x direction, the point's position in reference to distance or time needs to be determined and then plugged into the wave equation. Any further assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
zjm7290

Homework Statement

The function y(x, t) = (15.0 cm) cos([tex]\pi[/tex]x - 12[tex]\pi[/tex]t), with x in meters and t in seconds, describes a wave on a taut string. What is the transverse speed for a point on the string at an instant when that point has the displacement y = 12.0 cm?

Homework Equations

I know that the equation of the wave is given above and the max transverse velocity is w*A and the max transverse acceleration is w^2*A and I know how to get the velocity of the wave in the x direction (propagation)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to even start, I think I need to find where 12.0cm is in reference to either distance or time, then I could just plug it into the wave equation, I'm just not sure how to get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
please guys! i have a final on this friday! anyone?

I would first start by identifying the key information and variables given in the problem. From the given function, we can see that the wave has a displacement of 15.0 cm and is described by a cosine function with a frequency of 12 Hz. This means that the wave has a wavelength of 1 meter and a period of 1/12 seconds. The displacement y is given in centimeters, while x is in meters and t is in seconds.

To find the transverse speed at a point with a displacement of 12.0 cm, we first need to find the corresponding values of x and t. Since the wave is described by a cosine function, we can use the cosine inverse function to find the angle at which the displacement is 12.0 cm. This angle will correspond to the position of the point on the wave.

Once we have the angle, we can use the wave equation to find the transverse speed. The equation for the velocity of a wave is v = λf, where λ is the wavelength and f is the frequency. In this case, we know that λ = 1 meter and f = 12 Hz, so the velocity of the wave is 12 meters/second. However, since we are looking for the transverse speed at a specific point, we need to take into account the direction of the wave at that point. The transverse speed is given by the product of the wave velocity and the sine of the angle at which the point is located. This will give us the speed at which the point is moving up and down as the wave passes through it.

In summary, to find the transverse speed at a point with a displacement of 12.0 cm, we first need to find the corresponding angle using the cosine inverse function. Then, we can use the wave equation and the sine of the angle to calculate the transverse speed.

Related to Transverse Wave Homework Problem

What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction in which the wave is traveling.

How do you calculate the wavelength of a transverse wave?

The wavelength of a transverse wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. In other words, wavelength = speed/frequency.

What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave has particles that move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while a longitudinal wave has particles that move in the same direction as the wave. Additionally, transverse waves can only travel through solids and liquids, while longitudinal waves can travel through solids, liquids, and gases.

How do you determine the amplitude of a transverse wave?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is the maximum displacement of a particle from its resting position. It can be measured by measuring the height of the wave from its resting position to its peak or trough.

What are some real-life examples of transverse waves?

Some real-life examples of transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and seismic S-waves. These waves all have particles that move perpendicular to the direction of the wave.