Transparency of light and electromagnetic waves

In summary: The reason why some materials are transparent to some wavelengths and opaque to others is due to the interaction of the electrons with the EM waves.
ThomasGR
Hello,

For reasons I’ve read here in this forum, some material (let’s say PVC or paper) are not transparent to light. But light is an electromagnetic wave. If I lower the frequency, that material is now transparent, even if I cannot detect it with my eyes but must use special equipments, the same if I increase the frequency. It seems only in the bandwidth of visible light, that material in not transparent. Can some one tell me the reasons?

Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome.
This is a complicated topic because of the vast range of EM waves and there are several different effects observed. Reflection, absorption and refraction (bending) and scattering will all occur to some extent, always.
All materials have different transmission characteristics for different wavelengths of EM. The performance for the optical wavelength range will be different from the performance for other wavelengths but there is nothing essential special about light . The reason why a material absorbs or reflects a particular wavelength is due to what happens to the electrons in the substance. In metals, there are some very mobile electrons (good conductivity) and the currents induced in the surface cause high reflection (shiny and reflect radio waves) of all wavelengths down to X rays, where the photons interact differently with the lattice.
For insulators (glass, plastic etc) the electrons are not so mobile and will interact to a greater of lesser extent with different wavelengths. If they do not interact (much), the material looks transparent but a small percentage of energy is always absorbed on the way through.
The more dense the material (lead glass compared with ordinary glass) the more the interaction and the more the em path can be bent. Electrons in the material will be induced to vibrate a bit and this loads the wave, slowing it down (it no longer travels at c). For some substances, the movement of the electrons also causes energy to be absorbed at the same time and the material is opaque to that particular wavelength. Coloured filters are opaque to some wavelengths and transmit others.

Related to Transparency of light and electromagnetic waves

1. What is transparency?

Transparency refers to the ability of a material to allow light or electromagnetic waves to pass through it without any significant absorption or scattering. This means that the material appears clear and objects behind it can be seen clearly.

2. How does light pass through transparent materials?

Light passes through transparent materials because the molecules or atoms in the material do not absorb or reflect the light. Instead, the light is transmitted through the material, allowing us to see through it.

3. What determines the transparency of a material?

The transparency of a material is determined by its molecular or atomic structure. Materials with a regular and uniform structure, such as glass or water, tend to be more transparent, while materials with a more disordered structure, like frosted glass, are less transparent.

4. Can all types of light pass through transparent materials?

No, not all types of light can pass through transparent materials. Transparent materials are usually designed to allow visible light to pass through, but they may block other types of light, such as ultraviolet or infrared light. This depends on the properties of the material and how it interacts with different wavelengths of light.

5. Are there any materials that are 100% transparent?

No, there are no materials that are 100% transparent. Even the most transparent materials, such as air or clear glass, still absorb a small amount of light. However, some materials, like diamond, can come very close to being completely transparent due to their unique molecular structure.