Transmural Pressure in Tube System Splitting and Converging

In summary, the problem involves calculating the transmural pressure at points a, b, and c in a system of tubes with varying diameters and lengths and a fluid flow rate of 3ml/sec. The fluid has a viscosity of 0.01 poise and a density of 1g/cm^3. The flow is laminar and the pressure at the end of the series is 0. The solution involves using Bernoulli's and Poiseuille's equations to calculate pressure differences and then using those values to find the transmural pressure at each point. There is some uncertainty about whether Bernoulli's equation can be used due to friction, but the solution uses it anyway and calculates a transmural pressure
Zyphlon

Homework Statement

The points a, b and c and mid way along a series of tubes arranged such:

There is a tube of 4mm for 100 cm
It splits into 3 tubes of diameter 1mm, length 20 cm
It converges into a tube of diameter 6mm, length 100 cm

The fluid flowing through the tubes is 3ml/sec and has viscosity 0.01 poise (dyne*sec*cm^-2) and a density of 1g/cm^3.

The flow is laminar and the pressure at the end of the series is 0 (or atmospheric).

Calculate the transmural pressure at the points c, b and a

Homework Equations

Transmural pressure = Pressure(internal) - Pressure(external)

Bernoulli's - P + (pu^2)/2 = constant
Poiseullie's - delta-P = 8QµL/(pie*R^4)
Resistance = (pie *R^4) / 8QµL
Flow = velocity * cross sectional area
Flow = (P1 - P2)(pie*r^4 / 8*viscosity*length)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought, see as we have the end pressure, and the question starts with "calculate c". First I calculated the velocity of the 3 tube systems:

First Tube - v = Flow/area = 3/0.502 = 5.97 cm/s
Second Tube - 31.83 cm/s
Third - 2.65 cm/s

But I can't really see how that would be useful. I thought I unsure if the viscosity given, 0.01 poise, is "negligible" enough that I can use Bernoulli's. So I started with working out Pressure difference between the end of the tube, and the start of the third tube and the middle of the third tube.

3 = (P1 - P2) (pie*0.6^4 / 8*0.01*100)
so Pressure difference = 58.82 dyne*ml/cm^5 = 5.882 Pascals

Seen as pressure at the end is 0, then i reasoned the pressure at the start of the tube = 5.882 Pa.

By the same logic, the midpoint, c, will be of pressure 2.947 Pa.

So I thought the transmural (difference between the inner and outside) = 2.947 at c

However, I do not know how to translate this into working out the other tube pressures, or indeed if I should have used Bernoulli's. However I don't know:
1. If I can use Bernoulli's, as there is some degree of friction
2. How I can use it to work out pressure? Considering I would need to have a pressure value to work out the constant? Unless the constant from Bernoulli's is the same for the entire system.

Physics news on Phys.org
3. How I can use the velocity values to work out the pressures?Can someone suggest a solution? Thanks.

Related to Transmural Pressure in Tube System Splitting and Converging

1. What is transmural pressure in tube system splitting and converging?

Transmural pressure in tube system splitting and converging is the difference in pressure between the inside and outside of a tube as it splits into two or converges into one. It is an important concept in fluid mechanics and is used to understand the flow and behavior of fluids in complex tube systems.

2. How is transmural pressure calculated?

Transmural pressure is calculated by subtracting the pressure on the outside of the tube from the pressure on the inside of the tube. This difference in pressure is what drives the fluid flow through the tube system.

3. What factors affect transmural pressure in tube system splitting and converging?

The main factors that affect transmural pressure in tube system splitting and converging are the fluid velocity, tube diameter, fluid viscosity, and tube geometry. These factors determine the pressure distribution within the tube and ultimately affect the transmural pressure.

4. Why is transmural pressure important in fluid flow?

Transmural pressure is important in fluid flow because it is the driving force that causes the fluid to move through the tube system. It also affects the velocity and direction of the fluid, as well as the overall efficiency and performance of the system.

5. How can transmural pressure be controlled in tube system splitting and converging?

Transmural pressure can be controlled in tube system splitting and converging by adjusting the fluid flow rate, changing the tube diameter, or altering the tube geometry. These adjustments can help maintain a desired pressure difference and ensure optimal performance of the system.