Transmission through thin gold film

In summary, to estimate the transmission of light through a 20nm thick gold film at 77k, you will need to calculate the dielectric function at the given frequency and use the Beer-Lambert law to account for the absorption of light by the gold film.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Estimate the transmission of light with [itex]\lambda=1\mu m[/itex] that is transmitted through 20nm thick gold film at 77k where

The DC conductivity:

[tex]\sigma_{DC}=2*10^8 \Omega^{-1} m^{-1})[/tex]

The carrier density:

[tex]n=5.9*10^28 m^{-3})[/tex]

and the plasmon frequency:

[tex]\frac{\omega_p}{2\pi}=2.18*10^{15} Hz[/tex]Use n to estimate absorption.

Homework Equations

[tex]\epsilon(\omega)=1-\frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega^2} + \frac{i\sigma_{DC}}{\epsilon_0\omega}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK. So, I know I should do this problem by computing the dielectric function at the given frequency and then finding the reflection coefficient from that. However, when I do this, I get the imaginary part being much much bigger than the real part.

This mean the imaginary part of N, the index of refraction, is equal to the real part of N, and thus, R becoms equal to one. I know this isn't the case.

The second problem:

I confused on how to account for the absorption in the dielectric function. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(I hope this is enough info. I'm pressed for time, so if you need any more info, please ask, and I'll try my best to provide.)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, you are correct in using the dielectric function to estimate the transmission of light through the gold film. To address your concerns about the imaginary part being much larger than the real part, this is expected for metals at optical frequencies. In fact, the imaginary part of the dielectric function represents the absorption of light by the material.

To account for this absorption in your calculation, you can use the Beer-Lambert law, which relates the intensity of light transmitted through a material to the material's absorbance and thickness. In this case, the absorbance can be calculated from the imaginary part of the dielectric function and the thickness of the gold film. This will give you an estimate of the amount of light that is absorbed by the gold film.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Transmission through thin gold film

1. How does transmission through thin gold film work?

Transmission through thin gold film works by allowing light to pass through the film's small gaps between gold particles. The gaps act as a waveguide, guiding the light through the film. The thickness and size of the gaps determine the amount of light that can pass through.

2. What factors affect the transmission through thin gold film?

The transmission through thin gold film can be affected by various factors such as the thickness and size of the film, the angle of incidence of the light, and the wavelength of the light. Other factors include the material and quality of the film, as well as any impurities or defects present.

3. How is the transmission through thin gold film measured?

The transmission through thin gold film can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light transmitted through the film at different wavelengths. Other methods include using a laser and a photodetector to measure the intensity of light passing through the film.

4. What are the applications of transmission through thin gold film?

Transmission through thin gold film has various applications in fields such as optics, electronics, and nanotechnology. It is used in optical filters, sensors, and plasmonic devices. It also has potential applications in solar cells, biomedical imaging, and data storage.

5. Are there any limitations to transmission through thin gold film?

One limitation of transmission through thin gold film is that it is highly dependent on the film's thickness and size, making it difficult to control and reproduce in large quantities. Additionally, the film's performance can be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. There may also be limitations in the range of wavelengths that can be transmitted through the film.