Transmission phase of finite 1D photonic crystal

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transfer matrix method to plot the phase Φ(ω) versus frequency ω graph in the vicinity of a band gap. The transmission coefficient t(ω) is calculated using t(ω) = |t(ω)|*exp(i*Φ(ω)), which leads to the transmission phase Φ(ω) = atan(t_imaginary(ω)/t_real(ω)). However, due to the assumption of -pi/2 ≦ Φ ≦ pi/2, negative phase angles are obtained in the plot. This also results in a negative effective index neff(ω) = c/L/ω*Φ(ω), which should be positive. The speaker has
kcy
I use transfer matrix method. I try to plot the phase Φ(ω) versus frequency ω graph in the vicinity of a band gap. The transmission coefficient t(ω) is

t(ω) = |t(ω)|*exp(i*Φ(ω))

from which I get the transmission phase

Φ(ω) = atan(t_imaginary(ω)/t_real(ω)).

Since I assume that -pi/2 ≦ Φ ≦ pi/2, I get negative phase angles in my plot. And since effective index neff(ω) = c/L/ω*Φ(ω) where L is the photonic crystal length, I get neff < 0 which should be positive. I have done calculations by assuming 0 ≦ Φ ≦ 2*pi but the results do not seem to be correct.

Appreciate much if someone can point me to the correct way of calculating Φ(ω).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've managed to find the answer. Thanks.

Related to Transmission phase of finite 1D photonic crystal

1. What is the transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal?

The transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal refers to the phase shift that occurs to an electromagnetic wave as it passes through the crystal structure. This phase shift is caused by the periodic variation of the refractive index within the crystal.

2. How does the number of layers in a 1D photonic crystal affect its transmission phase?

The number of layers in a 1D photonic crystal directly affects its transmission phase. As the number of layers increases, the phase shift also increases, resulting in higher transmission phase values.

3. Can the transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal be controlled?

Yes, the transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal can be controlled by adjusting the thickness and refractive index of the layers within the crystal. This allows for precise manipulation of the phase shift and can be useful in designing photonic devices.

4. What is the significance of the transmission phase in photonic crystal applications?

The transmission phase is a critical factor in the design and functionality of photonic crystal devices. It determines the behavior of electromagnetic waves within the crystal structure and can be used to control light propagation, interference, and filtering.

5. How is the transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal measured?

The transmission phase of a finite 1D photonic crystal can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved reflection or transmission spectroscopy. These methods involve directing a light beam at different angles or wavelengths and analyzing the resulting phase shift to determine the transmission phase.