Transmission coefficient, quantum tunnelling

In summary, the transmission coefficient in quantum tunnelling is a dimensionless quantity between 0 and 1 that measures the probability of a particle passing through a potential barrier. It is calculated using the wave function of the particle and the potential barrier, and is affected by factors such as the energy of the particle, the height and width of the barrier, the angle of incidence, and the mass of the particle. The transmission coefficient is important in understanding the probability of quantum tunnelling and has implications in various fields. It cannot be greater than 1, with a higher value indicating a higher probability of transmission.
Huor Earfalas
I have been trying to calculate the transmission coefficient for a quantum tunelling case, but I seem to get the coefficient value more than 1. How is that possible?

The equation i used is based on the wikipedia page (I am unable to link because I am underpost).

Also typically what are the values for transmission probability?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have calculated the reciprocal of the transmission coefficient by accident, or just made a miscalculation. Are you trying to calculate it for a square barrier or a general barrier?

Finite square well?

Related to Transmission coefficient, quantum tunnelling

1. What is the transmission coefficient in quantum tunnelling?

The transmission coefficient is a measure of the probability that a particle will pass through a potential barrier in quantum tunnelling. It is a dimensionless quantity between 0 and 1, where a value of 1 indicates that the particle will definitely pass through the barrier and a value of 0 indicates that it will definitely not pass through.

2. How is the transmission coefficient calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated using the wave function of the particle and the potential barrier it is encountering. It is determined by taking the ratio of the transmitted wave to the incident wave, and taking the absolute value squared of this ratio.

3. What factors affect the transmission coefficient?

The transmission coefficient is affected by the energy of the particle, as well as the height and width of the potential barrier. The angle of incidence and the mass of the particle can also have an impact on the transmission coefficient.

4. Why is the transmission coefficient important in quantum tunnelling?

The transmission coefficient is important because it allows us to understand the probability of a particle passing through a potential barrier in quantum tunnelling. This phenomenon has important implications in various fields such as solid state physics, nuclear physics, and quantum computing.

5. Can the transmission coefficient be greater than 1?

No, the transmission coefficient cannot be greater than 1. This would imply that the probability of a particle passing through a potential barrier is greater than 100%, which is not physically possible. The transmission coefficient is always a value between 0 and 1, with a higher value indicating a higher probability of transmission.