Transmission coefficient limit

In summary, the equation for the transmission coefficient of a particle going through a potential barrier shows that in the limit of V approaching E, T approaches 0. This is due to the V-E term approaching 0, making the denominator approach infinity. However, taking into account the factor of sinh²(k₁a), the limit becomes 1 + (mEa²/2ħ²) in the denominator. It may also make more sense physically to replace E with V₀ in the limit.
TheCanadian
I've attached the equation for the transmission coefficient of a particle going through a potential barrier and E < V. I was simply wondering in the limit V --> E, why does T --> 0 (i.e. the V-E term --> 0 and thus the denominator would approach infinity, making T --> 0)? Shouldn't it be approaching 1?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 12.20.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 12.20.30 AM.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
TheCanadian said:
I've attached the equation for the transmission coefficient of a particle going through a potential barrier and E < V. I was simply wondering in the limit V --> E, why does T --> 0 (i.e. the V-E term --> 0 and thus the denominator would approach infinity, making T --> 0)? Shouldn't it be approaching 1?
There is also the ##sinh²(k_1 a)## to take into account, since ##V_0 \rightarrow E## implies ##k_1 \rightarrow 0##.

Purely mathematically, you will get as limit ##1+\frac{mEa²}{2 {\hbar}^2}## in the denominator.
(Physically maybe ##E \rightarrow V_0## makes more sense, so in the limit, replace ##E## by ##V_0##.)

Last edited:

Related to Transmission coefficient limit

1. What is the transmission coefficient limit?

The transmission coefficient limit, also known as the transmission coefficient threshold, is the maximum value that the transmission coefficient can reach for a given system. It is a measure of how much energy is transmitted through a system compared to how much is reflected or absorbed.

2. How is the transmission coefficient limit determined?

The transmission coefficient limit is typically determined through mathematical calculations or experimental measurements. In some cases, it can also be estimated using theoretical models based on the properties of the system.

3. Why is the transmission coefficient limit important?

The transmission coefficient limit is important because it provides information about the efficiency and performance of a system. It can also help determine the feasibility of using a particular system for a specific application.

4. Can the transmission coefficient limit be exceeded?

Yes, the transmission coefficient limit can be exceeded in certain circumstances. Factors such as external influences or system changes can cause the transmission coefficient to increase beyond its limit. However, exceeding the limit may result in undesirable consequences or failure of the system.

5. How can the transmission coefficient limit be improved?

The transmission coefficient limit can be improved by optimizing the design and parameters of the system. This can include adjusting the materials, dimensions, or operating conditions to minimize energy losses and maximize transmission efficiency.