Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving for coefficients in a wave function and how the length of the barrier affects these coefficients. The equations for k are also mentioned. The main focus is on relating the wave functions in different areas of the barrier and ensuring that their values and derivatives are equal at the barrier edges.
BenBa

Homework Statement

Picture of Problem:

pYca7nE.png

Homework Equations

$$\psi(x) = A_n e^{ikx} + B_n e^{-ikx}$$ for n=1,2,3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know i need to relate the wave functions $$A_n e^{ikx} + B_n e^{-ikx}$$ for n=1,2,3 (the three areas of the barrier - before barrier, inside barrier, after barrier), such that the values of the functions at the barrier edges as well as their derivatives are equal. But i am not sure how to solve for each coefficient. Also how does the length of the barrier, d, come into play?

k is equal to $$\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}$$ outside the barrier and $$\sqrt{\frac{2m(E-V)}{\hbar^2}}$$ inside the barier.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BenBa said:
I know i need to relate the wave functions $$A_n e^{ikx} + B_n e^{-ikx}$$ for n=1,2,3 (the three areas of the barrier - before barrier, inside barrier, after barrier), such that the values of the functions at the barrier edges as well as their derivatives are equal.
Why don't you start by writing down the equations you get?

Related to Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier

1. What is the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier?

The Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier is a measure of the likelihood that a particle will pass through a potential barrier in quantum mechanics. It represents the ratio of the transmitted wave amplitude to the incident wave amplitude.

2. How is the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier calculated?

The Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy of the particle, the width and height of the barrier, and the potential energy of the barrier.

3. What factors affect the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier?

The factors that affect the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier include the energy of the particle, the width and height of the barrier, and the potential energy of the barrier. Additionally, the angle of incidence and the mass of the particle can also play a role.

4. How does the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier relate to tunneling?

The Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier is closely related to tunneling, which is the phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if its energy is less than the height of the barrier. The higher the Transmission Coefficient, the greater the likelihood of tunneling occurring.

5. Can the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier be greater than 1?

No, the Transmission Coefficient for Quantum Barrier cannot be greater than 1. This is because it represents a probability, and a probability cannot be greater than 1. A Transmission Coefficient of 1 would mean that the particle has a 100% chance of passing through the barrier.