Transmission and reflection coefficients

In summary, there is no general formula for finding reflection and transmission coefficients when using the WKB approximation. The coefficients can be calculated using the formulas |T|^{2}+|R|^{2}=1, T= \frac{j_{trans}}{j_{trans}}, and R= \frac{j_{refl}}{j_{trans}}. However, the specific form of the potential needs to be known in order to calculate these coefficients accurately. The incident wave comes in from the left and is right-moving, while the reflected wave is left-moving and the transmitted wave is right-moving. The reflection and transmission coefficients are determined by the wavefunctions inside and outside the barrier, which can be solved using parabolic cylinder functions.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi when using the WKB approx, is there a general method to find these Refelction and Transmission coefficients, I have tried looking in books and on the net and I can't find a 'general' formula, they tend tjust to be quoted. I know that [itex] |T|^{2}+|R|^{2}=1 [/itex].

And generally that [itex] T= \frac{j_{trans}}{j_{trans}} [/itex] and vice versa, but for something like, [itex] \ddot{X} + (y^{2}+t^{2})X=0 [/itex]

The coeficients are given by:
Reflection =[itex] \frac{-ie^{i\theta}}{\sqrt{1+e^{\pi y^{2}}}}[/itex]
Transmission= [itex] \frac{e^{-i\theta}}{\sqrt{1+e^{-\pi y^{2}}}}[/itex]

but am largely unsure as how to calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose there is a potential barrier centered at ##x=0## (the precise location doesn't matter for the below description). Let us take the convention that our incident wave comes in from ##x=-\infty## and is right-moving toward the barrier. The reflected wave is left-moving toward ##x=-\infty##, while the transmitted wave is right-moving toward ##x=\infty##.

Now, very far from the barrier, the potential is approximately zero, so we have approximately free-particle wave solutions. We can write this as

$$ \psi_- \approx A_i e^{-ikx} + A_r e^{ikx}, ~~~x\rightarrow -\infty,$$

$$ \psi_+ \approx A_t e^{-ikx} , ~~~x\rightarrow \infty.$$

Note that there is no left-moving wave to the right of the barrier, since we chose the convention that the incident wave comes in from the left.

The reflection coefficient is the fraction of the incident wave that is reflected, this is

$$ R = \frac{|A_r|^2}{|A_i|^2}, $$

while the transmission coefficient is the fraction that is transmitted,

$$ T = \frac{|A_t|^2}{|A_i|^2}. $$

In order to say anything more specific, one would need to know the detailed form of the potential specifying the barrier. Exactly what potential corresponds to your example is unclear from the equation you wrote down. Given the potential, we solve for the wavefunctions as precisely as possible in the region of the potential and then match on to the asymptotic wave solutions in order to define the transmission and reflection coefficients.

Could you clarify again the sign choices, am I correct:

1)is [itex] \psi_- [/itex] and[itex] \psi_{+} [/itex] inside the barrier, hence why only transitted wave functions?

2)- means going to [itex] -\infty [/itex] + mean going to [itex] +\infty [/itex] That I was hoping it would be a known example. One has to solve the above equation giving parabolic cylinder functions, which then have to be combined giving those. Il have to have another look at it, thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Related to Transmission and reflection coefficients

1. What are transmission and reflection coefficients?

Transmission and reflection coefficients are mathematical measures used to describe the behavior of waves at the interface between two different mediums. They determine how much of the incident wave is transmitted and reflected at the interface.

2. How are transmission and reflection coefficients calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated by dividing the amplitude of the transmitted wave by the amplitude of the incident wave. The reflection coefficient is calculated by dividing the amplitude of the reflected wave by the amplitude of the incident wave.

3. What factors affect the transmission and reflection coefficients?

The transmission and reflection coefficients are affected by the properties of the two mediums at the interface, such as their densities, elasticities, and refractive indices. The angle of incidence and the polarization of the incident wave also play a role.

4. What do high and low transmission and reflection coefficients indicate?

A high transmission coefficient indicates that most of the incident wave is able to pass through the interface and continue propagating in the second medium. A low transmission coefficient indicates that the wave is mostly reflected at the interface. Similarly, a high reflection coefficient indicates a strong reflection of the incident wave, while a low reflection coefficient indicates a weak reflection.

5. How do transmission and reflection coefficients relate to each other?

Transmission and reflection coefficients are complementary, meaning that they add up to 1. This means that if the transmission coefficient is high, the reflection coefficient will be low, and vice versa. In other words, a wave that is mostly transmitted will have a low reflection coefficient, and a wave that is mostly reflected will have a low transmission coefficient.