Translational/Rotation Question (Pulley)

• Thread starter dan38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation discussed a compound pulley system with a 10kg mass attached to the outer drum and a horizontal force of 250 N being applied at the edge of the inner drum. The system also had a friction torque of 7 N m and a pulley mass of 20 kg with a radius of gyration of 160 mm. The equations used to solve for the angular acceleration were I * Angular Acceleration + 10* Acceleration * R = F*r - 7, where I is the mk^2 of the pulley and Acceleration is equal to Angular Acceleration * R. Despite inputting the given values, the final answer of 2.7 rad/s^2 was not achieved, and
dan38

Homework Statement

Compound pulley with a mass (10kg) attached to outer drum
R = Outer Radius (250 mm)
r = Inner Radius (150 mm)

Horizontal force of 250 N being applied at edge of inner drum
Friction torque of 7 N m present
Mass of pulley = 20 kg and it has radius of gyration of 160 mm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I * Angular Acceleration + 10* Acceleration * R = F*r - 7

Where I = mk^2 of the pulley
and Acceleration = Angular Acceleration * R

Basically used these equations and inputted the given values, but still got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I = 20* (160^2) = 512000 kg m^2512000 * Angular Acceleration + 10* Acceleration * 250 = 250* 150 - 7Acceleration = 1250000/512000 = 2.441406 rad/s^2But this answer is wrong since the answer is supposed to be 2.7 rad/s^2

Related to Translational/Rotation Question (Pulley)

What is a translational/rotation question (pulley)?

A translational/rotation question, also known as a pulley question, is a type of physics problem that involves the use of a pulley system to transfer motion or force from one object to another. The system typically consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or axle, with one end attached to a weight or object.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by changing the direction of the force applied to an object. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, it travels around the wheel or axle and pulls on the other end of the rope, causing the object to move. The more pulleys in the system, the less force is required to move the object.

What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and also reduces the amount of force needed to move it. A combination of fixed and movable pulleys can create a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What are some real-world applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in a variety of applications, including elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines and resistance bands. In everyday life, pulleys can be found in window blinds, flagpoles, and clotheslines.

How do I solve a translational/rotation question (pulley) problem?

To solve a pulley problem, you will need to use principles of physics such as Newton's laws of motion and the concept of work and energy. Start by drawing a free-body diagram of the pulley system and identifying all the forces acting on the objects. Then, use equations and calculations to determine the unknown variables, such as the force or acceleration of the objects.