Translational Equillibrium, how do i show my work?

In summary, three forces, F1 and F2, are acting on a puck on a frictionless table in translational equilibrium. The magnitude of the third force, F3, can be found by adding the horizontal component of F2 to F1 and using Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant. To place the puck in equilibrium, F3 must be equal and opposite to the resultant force, F(R), which is the sum of F1 and the horizontal component of F2. Therefore, F3 = - F(R).
Senjai
12. Three horizontal forces are acting at the same point on a puck lying on a level frictionless
table. The puck is in translational equilibrium.
Two of these forces are:
F1 = 10.2 N, east
F2 = 15.4 N, 30° E of N
What is the magnitude of the third force?

I can figure out the answer quite easily, I add F1 and the horizontal component of F2 together, and use Pythagorean theorem to find the resultant of the new Fx component and F2y to find the resultant, and the force to place it in equilibrium would be the negative of that vector.

How do i show my work for this.. I am sure i can't just say its the opposite of the net force.

Physics news on Phys.org
If F(R) is the resultant of F1 and F2, for equilibrium F3 + F(R) = 0.
Or F3 = - F(R)

thank youu ! that'd make sense. :)

Related to Translational Equillibrium, how do i show my work?

1. What is translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium is a state in which the sum of all the forces acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in a constant velocity or no movement at all.

2. How is translational equilibrium different from static equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to the balance of forces acting on an object in motion, while static equilibrium refers to the balance of forces acting on an object at rest.

3. What are the conditions for translational equilibrium?

The conditions for translational equilibrium are that the sum of all the forces acting on an object must be equal to zero and the sum of all the torques acting on an object must also be equal to zero.

4. How do I determine if an object is in translational equilibrium?

To determine if an object is in translational equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, add up all the forces in the x and y directions. If the sum of the forces in both directions is equal to zero, the object is in translational equilibrium.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating translational equilibrium?

For example, if a person is pushing a box with a force of 20 N to the right and another person is pushing the box with a force of 10 N to the left, the box is in translational equilibrium because the sum of the forces is 20 N - 10 N = 0. This means the box will not accelerate in any direction.