Translational equillibrium calculation when forces acting not at COG

In summary, the problem of finding the magnitude and direction of Force-3 in order to achieve translational equilibrium for a 3m by 3m sheet on the x-y plane with a center of mass at the origin can be solved by assuming that all forces act on the center of mass. This approach leads to a solution where Force-3 must act on the center of mass at an angle of 26.56° with the vertical and a magnitude of 10√5 N.
bubsy
I have a question about translational equilibrium.

Consider a 3m by 3m sheet on the x-y plane. The center of mass is at the origin.

Force-1 of 10 N acts on the top left corner of the sheet and points left.

Force-2 of 20 N acts on the bottom right corner of the sheet and is directed downwards.

Force-3 of yet to be determined magnitude and direction, acts on the center of mass. I need to find the magnitude and direction of this force that will result in the sheet being in translational equillibrium.

I can do this problem if Force-1 and Force-2 acted on the center of mass, but in this case the first 2 forces act on corners of the sheet.

Does it matter that the first 2 forces are not acting on the center of mass? Is the problem equivalent if I promote the first 2 forces to act on the center-of-mass?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of translation it doesn't matter where the forces act, the only thing that will change if you apply your force on a different part of the shape is the amount of rotation so for this problem you can just pretend they are all acting on the COM :)

bubsy said:
I have a question about translational equilibrium.

Consider a 3m by 3m sheet on the x-y plane. The center of mass is at the origin.

Force-1 of 10 N acts on the top left corner of the sheet and points left.

Force-2 of 20 N acts on the bottom right corner of the sheet and is directed downwards.

Force-3 of yet to be determined magnitude and direction, acts on the center of mass. I need to find the magnitude and direction of this force that will result in the sheet being in translational equillibrium.

I can do this problem if Force-1 and Force-2 acted on the center of mass, but in this case the first 2 forces act on corners of the sheet.

Does it matter that the first 2 forces are not acting on the center of mass? Is the problem equivalent if I promote the first 2 forces to act on the center-of-mass?

Thanks
jhamm is absolutely right.in translational motion you can just always assume that the forces act on the COM.
proceed and you will find that the force F3 must act on the COM at an angle of 26.56° with the vertical and a magnitude of 10√5 N.

Related to Translational equillibrium calculation when forces acting not at COG

What is translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium is a state in which an object's net force and net torque are both equal to zero, resulting in the object having no overall linear or rotational motion.

How is translational equilibrium calculated?

Translational equilibrium is calculated by summing up all the forces acting on an object and setting them equal to zero. This can be represented by the equation ΣF = 0, where ΣF is the sum of all the forces acting on the object.

What is the center of gravity (COG)?

The center of gravity (COG) is the point where an object's weight is evenly distributed and acts as if all the weight is concentrated at that point. It is the point at which an object will balance and not tip over under the influence of gravity.

How do forces acting not at the COG affect translational equilibrium?

When forces act not at the COG, they create a torque or rotational force that can cause an object to rotate. In order for the object to remain in translational equilibrium, the net torque must also be equal to zero in addition to the net force.

What is the significance of calculating translational equilibrium?

Calculating translational equilibrium is important in understanding the stability and balance of objects. It allows for the prediction of an object's behavior under different forces and can be used to design structures and machines that are safe and functional.