Translating Stephen Hawking: Plus/Minus Term & Black Holes

In summary, the conversation was about a Portuguese translator working on a documentary about black holes struggling to translate a dialogue between Stephen Hawking and his colleagues. Hawking mentioned the term "F plus minus" and the translator was unsure if it was the correct way to write it. Hawking was referring to his study on black holes retaining information. The correct terms could be "f_+" and "f_-". A source was provided for further reference.
Nuno_S_Oliveira
TL;DR Summary
I need urgent help on a documentary I'm working on regarding black holes.
Hi,
I'm a Portuguese translator working on a documentary about black holes and there is a specific bit of dialogue between Stephen Hawking and his colleagues that I'm having a hard time translating. Basically, Hawking says: "So, it could be the F plus minus
term takes this away." Is this the correct way to write "plus minus term"? I'm not sure, since I'm not a physicist XD. And what does it actually mean.

Btw, this is regarding a study he was conducting on black holes retaining information.

Thank you.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
It could be ##f_+, f_-##, which are terms from black hole evaporation. E.g.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/25174366.pdf

Likes atyy
I think that might be it! Thank you so much.

Likes berkeman

What is the Plus/Minus Term in Stephen Hawking's work?

The Plus/Minus Term refers to a mathematical term in Stephen Hawking's equations that accounts for both positive and negative energy in the universe. It is a crucial component in Hawking's theories on black holes and the creation of the universe.

How does the Plus/Minus Term affect our understanding of black holes?

The Plus/Minus Term plays a crucial role in Hawking's theory that black holes emit radiation, known as Hawking radiation. This term allows for the possibility of particles with negative energy to escape from the black hole, causing it to slowly lose mass and eventually evaporate.

What is the significance of translating Stephen Hawking's work?

Translating Stephen Hawking's work allows for a wider audience to understand and engage with his groundbreaking theories. It also helps to disseminate his ideas and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

What challenges are faced in translating Stephen Hawking's work?

One of the main challenges in translating Stephen Hawking's work is accurately conveying complex scientific concepts and theories in a way that is understandable to a non-expert audience. This requires a deep understanding of both the scientific concepts and the language being translated into.

How does the translation of Stephen Hawking's work impact the scientific community?

The translation of Stephen Hawking's work has a significant impact on the scientific community by promoting cross-cultural collaboration and facilitating the exchange of ideas and knowledge. It also allows for a more diverse range of perspectives and interpretations of his work.