Translating a linear system to have critical points at the origin?

In summary, when analyzing the stability of a linear system with a critical point at (x0, y0) ≠ (0,0), simply removing the constants c1 and c2 may not result in an equivalent system. It is important to consider the influence of the constants in the behavior of the system.
Fractal20
So suppose you have a nice simple linear system
dx/dt = a1x + b1y + c1
dy/dt = a2x + b2y + c2

and a critical point (x0, y0) ≠ (0,0). If you want to analyze the stability in the usual linear method, then I assume there should be some transformation to have the critical point at the origin. So is this system equivalent to the system that results from simply removing c1, c2? I see that in terms of taking the Jacobian, the constants don't matter at all. Furthermore, I also see that if there is no b's in either equation of a line, then of course they can only intersect at (0,0) -> that is a critical point as well. So I guess what I am asking is if the linear system for a given a1,a2,b1,b2 but and c1,c2 are all equivalent? Thanks!

*edit
Okay, I thought about it more and realized that substituting x' = x - x_0 and y' = y - y_0 where x_0, y_0 are the critical points. So can one just ignore the constants or is this intermediate step needed for rigor?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify that the system resulting from removing the constants c1 and c2 is not necessarily equivalent to the original system. While it may be mathematically equivalent in terms of the Jacobian, it is not necessarily equivalent in terms of the behavior and stability of the system.

The constants c1 and c2 represent the influence of external factors on the system, and removing them may change the dynamics of the system. In some cases, the system may still behave similarly, but in others, the behavior may be drastically different.

Therefore, it is important to consider the constants in the analysis of the stability of the system. The intermediate step of substituting x' and y' is a valid approach, as it helps to transform the system to a more manageable form, but it is not necessary for rigor. The key is to understand the impact of the constants on the behavior of the system and to consider them in the analysis.

Related to Translating a linear system to have critical points at the origin?

1. How do you translate a linear system to have critical points at the origin?

To translate a linear system to have critical points at the origin, you must first identify the current location of the critical points. Then, you can use a translation matrix to shift the entire system to have critical points at the origin.

2. What is the purpose of translating a linear system to have critical points at the origin?

The purpose of this translation is to simplify the system and make it easier to analyze. Having critical points at the origin allows for easier calculation of the system's stability and behavior.

3. Can any linear system be translated to have critical points at the origin?

Yes, any linear system can be translated to have critical points at the origin. This is because the location of the critical points is determined by the system's coefficients, which can be manipulated through matrix operations.

4. Are there any limitations to translating a linear system to have critical points at the origin?

One limitation is that the translation may change the behavior of the system. This is because the location of the critical points can affect the stability and nature of the system's solutions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the implications of the translation.

5. Are there alternative methods for analyzing a linear system with critical points at a non-origin location?

Yes, there are other methods for analyzing a linear system with critical points at a non-origin location. These include using eigenvalues and eigenvectors to determine the stability and behavior of the system, as well as using phase plane analysis to visualize the system's solutions.