Transitions from Rest State to Rectilinear Motion: Infinite Jerk?

In summary: entioning an inductor, the instantaneous response would be an increase in current (voltage) until the inductor reached its saturation point and then there would be a decrease in current (voltage) until the inductor reached its cut-off point.
Mark_W_Ingalls
Anyone-

From long ago IIRC a body that transitions from a rest state to a rectilinear moving state undergoes nearly infinite jerk (change in 'a'). On the one hand, my memory is reinforced by the idea that not all functions have infinitely many derivatives... But on the other hand, I may not have gone down the chain of differentiation far enough, so that jerk isn't "nearly infinite" ever, after all.

I am going to go soak my head while I await your wisdom...

Mark W. Ingalls

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is your question?

Can you give a better idea of what you mean by nearly infinite?

Mark_W_Ingalls said:
Anyone-

From long ago IIRC a body that transitions from a rest state to a rectilinear moving state undergoes nearly infinite jerk (change in 'a').
The kinematics of such a transition may be described mathematically as such and give a "nearly" infinite jerk (whatever that means) its different than what can actually happen in nature. Suppose a particle is described as having zero acceleration for t < 0 and constant acceleration for t > 0. The acceleration is then a step function. Then the jerk is infinite (delta function) at t = 0. This does not mean that this situation can happen like this in nature.

Pete

Thanks for stopping by, integral and pmb_phy--

I am familiar with the delta function; I also know that we EE's blow off the natural response and (In my case) any forcing function that is not "harmonic," e.g. sinusoidal, but I was thinking about a car pulling away from a stop light, or a train pulling away from the station. Is there an instant when the vehicle under consideration goes from 'motionless' to 'moving'?

And in that *cusp* of an instant, the vehicle's position wrt time would (obviously) have to be continuous, but would its acceleration, necessarily? (This was many, many years ago; we had slide rules then.)

#:8-o

Anyway, thanks for helping scrape the rust off...

M

I just wanted to shut all the gates on my way out...

I recalled the force - voltage analogy and I immedeiately visualized the response of an inductor-terminated X-line to a voltage step.

F = V
m = L
v = i

dV/dt = L di/dt, ...

#:8-D

M

Related to Transitions from Rest State to Rectilinear Motion: Infinite Jerk?

1. What is infinite jerk in the context of transitions from rest state to rectilinear motion?

Infinite jerk refers to a sudden and abrupt change in acceleration when transitioning from a resting state to rectilinear motion. It is a theoretical concept that assumes there is no limit to how quickly an object can change its acceleration.

2. Why is infinite jerk important in this context?

Infinite jerk is important because it can have significant effects on the motion of an object. It can cause instability and unpredictable behavior, making it difficult to accurately control the movement of the object.

3. How is infinite jerk mathematically represented?

Infinite jerk is represented by the third derivative of position with respect to time, or the rate of change of acceleration. In mathematical notation, it is denoted as "j" or "jerk".

4. What are some practical applications of understanding transitions from rest state to rectilinear motion with infinite jerk?

Understanding transitions from rest state to rectilinear motion with infinite jerk is important in fields such as robotics, aerospace engineering, and vehicle control systems. It allows for more accurate and efficient control of movements and can prevent damage to equipment or injuries to individuals.

5. Can infinite jerk be avoided in real-world scenarios?

In most cases, infinite jerk is unavoidable in real-world scenarios. However, it can be minimized by carefully controlling and optimizing the motion of an object, using smooth and gradual transitions rather than sudden changes in acceleration.