Transition rules for a trapped ion

In summary, the two lasers have two levels that can be excited at the same time by a photon. The Hamiltonian is not correct because it neglects recoil.
jamie.j1989
Hi, I am studying the dynamics of a trapped ion in a laser and am trying to simulate the dynamics via a quantum jump, in order to do this I need to know the allowed transitions that the ion external and internal degrees of freedom can take, being the number state (n) of the approximated harmonic potential of the laser and the ground and excited states g and e respectively.

I figured that you can determine the allowed transitions from assuming the ion is in an initial state and then just acting the hamiltonian on the state. The RWA (Rotating wave approximation) hamiltonian in natural units is

$$H= \frac{1}{4}\left[2\Omega\left(a^+\sigma^++a\sigma^-\right)-\delta\left(2a^+a-\sigma^z\right)\right]$$

Where we have, ##\Omega## is the Rabi frequency, ##a## and ##a^+## are the lowering and raising operators, ##\sigma^-=|g><e|##, ##\sigma^+=|e><g|##, ##\sigma^z=|e><e|-|g><g|## and ##\delta## is the detuning.

So if we start our system in the state ##|en>## (in the nth external state and excited internal state), acting on ##H##,

$$H|en>=\frac{\Omega}{2}\sqrt{n}\left|g,n-1\right>+\frac{\delta}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}-n\right)\left|en\right>$$

And if we start our system in the state ##|gn>## (in the nth external state and ground internal state), acting on ##H##,

$$H|gn>=\frac{\Omega}{2}\sqrt{n+1}\left|e,n+1\right>-\frac{\delta}{2}\left(n-\frac{1}{2}\right)\left|gn\right>$$

My interpretation of this is that if in the |en> state the ion can transition to the |g,n-1> state, and if in the |gn> state it can transition to the |e,n+1> state, this doesn't seem right to me as the ion would just surely transition between two states endlessly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Hamiltonian is as you wrote it, then the conclusion is correct. But I agree with you that the conclusion is strange, so my hunch is that the Hamiltonian is not correct. You should probably have terms of the type ##a \sigma^+## and ##a^+ \sigma^-## in there.

The Hamiltonian is the anti Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian I got it from this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.1863v2.pdf setting j=1 and J = 0, as I'm only looking at 1 ion. If we're only looking at a laser exciting the two level ion at resonance then when a photon has been absorbed it can't absorb any more energy so can only emit a photon, so the repeating process might actually make sense?

Did you read
"Decoherence of quantum superpositions through coupling to engineered reservoirs" by wineland?

You have the details of the two lasers with Raman transitions.

jamie.j1989 said:
The Hamiltonian is the anti Jaynes-Cummings Hamiltonian I got it from this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.1863v2.pdf setting j=1 and J = 0, as I'm only looking at 1 ion. If we're only looking at a laser exciting the two level ion at resonance then when a photon has been absorbed it can't absorb any more energy so can only emit a photon, so the repeating process might actually make sense?
Indeed, in that model only two levels can be coupled at a time by the laser: |n,g> and |n+1,e>. Note however that there is a decay term involving only σ-, so that there is a channel |n+1,e> → |n+1,g>, which can then lead to |n+1,g> → |n+2,e>, etc.

Would we be neglecting recoil if that transition (|n+1,e> ##\rightarrow## |n+1,g> ) were possible, surely if a decay by spontaneous emission occurs which is described by the ##\gamma D[\sigma^-](\rho)## term in the master equation, heating or cooling would take place from the recoil which would amount to a change in the n state? And if this transition is valid why doesn't the Hamiltonian describe it?

Related to Transition rules for a trapped ion

1. What are transition rules for a trapped ion?

The transition rules for a trapped ion refer to the specific energy levels and transitions that an ion experiences when it is confined in a trap. These transitions are typically induced by laser beams and can be used for quantum computing, precision measurements, and quantum simulations.

2. How do trapped ion transitions work?

Trapped ion transitions work by using lasers to excite the ion from its ground state to a higher energy level. This transition is controlled by adjusting the frequency and intensity of the laser beams. The ion can then emit photons and return to its ground state, allowing for the manipulation of its quantum state.

3. What are the benefits of using trapped ion transitions?

There are several benefits of using trapped ion transitions, including high precision and control over the quantum state of the ion, long coherence times, and the ability to entangle multiple ions. Trapped ions also have low error rates, making them a promising candidate for quantum computing and other quantum technologies.

4. What challenges are associated with trapped ion transitions?

Some of the challenges associated with trapped ion transitions include the need for precise control and stability of the trap, as well as the difficulty in addressing individual ions within a larger group. Additionally, the ions can interact with their surrounding environment, leading to decoherence and potential errors in the transition process.

5. How are trapped ion transitions being used in research?

Trapped ion transitions are being used in a variety of research fields, including quantum information processing, quantum simulation, and precision measurements. They are also being explored for potential applications in quantum communication and quantum sensing. Ongoing research aims to improve the control and scalability of trapped ion systems for practical use in these areas.