Transition Matrix: Polynomial to Coordinate Form

In summary, Fernando Revilla had a typo in his matrix and you have already computed the inverse. You next step would be to say$$[v]_\mathcal{S} = P_{\mathcal{S},\mathcal{B}} [v]_\mathcal{B}\\= \begin{bmatrix}{1}&{\;\;0}&{-1}\\{2}&{-2}&{-3}\\{0}&{\;\;1}&{1}\end{bmatrix}\,\begin{bmatrix}{2}\\{3}\\{1}\end
Kaspelek
Hi guys,

I'm having a little difficulty in converting a set of two bases into a transition matrix. My problem lies in the bases, because they are in polynomial form compared to your elementary coordinate form.

How would I go about finding the transitional matrix for this example...View attachment 824

Thanks in advance guys (Cool)

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 99
Physics news on Phys.org
We have $$-1+2x-2x^2=(-1)1+(2)x+(-2)x^2\\1-x+x^2=(1)1+(-1)x+(1)x^2\\2-x+2x^2=(2)1+(-1)x+(2)x^2$$ Transposing we get $$P_{\mathcal{S},\mathcal{B}}=\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{\color{red}-1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;2}\end{bmatrix}\;,\quad P_{\mathcal{B},\mathcal{S}}=\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{\color{red}-1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{\;\;2}\end{bmatrix}^{-1}=\ldots$$

Last edited:
Fernando Revilla said:
We have $$-1+2x-2x^2=(-1)1+(2)x+(-2)x^2\\1-x+x^2=(1)1+(-1)x+(1)x^2\\2-x+2x^2=(2)1+(-1)x+(2)x^2$$ Transposing we get $$P_{\mathcal{S},\mathcal{B}}=\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{2}\end{bmatrix}\;,\quad P_{\mathcal{B},\mathcal{S}}=\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{2}\end{bmatrix}^{-1}=\ldots$$
shouldn't the matrix be =\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{-1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{2}\end{bmatrix}

Kaspelek said:
shouldn't the matrix be =\begin{bmatrix}{-1}&{\;\;1}&{2}\\{\;\;2}&{-1}&{-1}\\{-2}&{\;\;1}&{2}\end{bmatrix}

Anyway, I've worked out the inverse matrix to be

|1 0 -1|
|2 -2 -3|
|0 1 1 |

I'm not sure about how to do parts b and c)

I'm thinking that perhaps for part b) you multiply with respect to that new basis?

Hi for b) I would try to write the polynomial in a vector of basis S. Once this is done, you could try multiplying it with one of the P matrix you have found (I'm try to find out with one!) altough you could also just play with it and find the new vector in basis B,

but doing so, you wouldn't learn much!

For c) The matrix given is in basis S how could you change it?! I leave this one to you, if you complete the b) you should be able to deal with this one :)

Kaspelek said:

Kaspelek said:
Anyway, I've worked out the inverse matrix to be

|1 0 -1|
|2 -2 -3|
|0 1 1 |

I'm not sure about how to do parts b and c)

I'm thinking that perhaps for part b) you multiply with respect to that new basis?

So to be sure, you were right about the typo in the matrix Fernando Revilla had. Having computed the inverse as necessary, your next step would be to say

$$[v]_\mathcal{S} = P_{\mathcal{S},\mathcal{B}} [v]_\mathcal{B}\\
= \begin{bmatrix}{1}&{\;\;0}&{-1}
\\{2}&{-2}&{-3}
\\{0}&{\;\;1}&{1}\end{bmatrix}\,
\begin{bmatrix}{2}
\\{3}
\\{1}\end{bmatrix}
$$

For c), the necessary computation is
$$[T]_{\mathcal{B}} =
P_{\mathcal{B},\mathcal{S}} \,
[T]_{\mathcal{S}} \,
P_{\mathcal{S},\mathcal{B}} $$
Each of which you have previously computed.

Related to Transition Matrix: Polynomial to Coordinate Form

1. What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the relationship between two different coordinate systems or bases. It is often used in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics and science to transform data from one coordinate system to another.

2. How is a transition matrix related to polynomials?

A transition matrix can be used to convert a polynomial expression from one form to another, such as from the polynomial basis to the coordinate basis. This can make it easier to perform calculations on the polynomial or to visualize its graph.

3. How do you convert a polynomial to coordinate form using a transition matrix?

To convert a polynomial to coordinate form, you can use the following steps:
1. Define the polynomial basis vectors (1, x, x^2, etc.) and the coordinate basis vectors (e_1, e_2, e_3, etc.).
2. Write the polynomial expression as a linear combination of the polynomial basis vectors.
3. Create a matrix with the coefficients of the polynomial as the entries.
4. Use the transition matrix to multiply the polynomial coefficients matrix and obtain the coordinate form of the polynomial.

4. What are the benefits of using a transition matrix for polynomial conversion?

Using a transition matrix can make it easier to perform calculations on polynomials, especially in higher dimensions. It can also help visualize the polynomial in a different coordinate system, which may reveal patterns or relationships that were not apparent in its original form.

5. Can a transition matrix be used for other types of data transformation?

Yes, a transition matrix can be used to transform other types of data, such as vectors or matrices, from one basis to another. It can also be used for data compression, image processing, and other applications in mathematics, engineering, and computer science.