Transistor how to find total amplification

In summary, a transistor is a semiconductor device used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It has three layers of semiconductor material and is commonly found in electronic devices. A transistor amplifies signals by controlling the flow of current between its layers. Total amplification is the overall amplification achieved by a transistor, taking into account the input signal and gain. To calculate total amplification, one can divide the output signal strength by the input signal strength. The gain of a transistor can be found in the manufacturer's specifications, typically denoted by "h<sub>FE</sub>" and measured in decibels.
kliker
[PLAIN]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9491/47613590.jpg

find Aus which is Vout/Vs = Vout/Vi * Vi/Vs

where Vi = ib*β*re and Vout = VL in this case

also we know that

Rc=2kΩ , Rb=430kΩ , Rs=1kΩ, RL=4kΩ, Vcc=10V, β=100.

MY ATTEMPT FOR A SOLUTION

Vout = ic*rL

where rL = RL||Rc

also Vi = ib*β*re

but we know that ic = β*ib

hence

Au = Vout/Vi = (β*ib*rL)/ib*β*re = rL/re

as i said rL = RL||Rc = 8000/6000 = 1.34 KΩ

I need to find re know, we know that re = 25mV/IE

BUT we don't know IE, I should analyze the dc circuit in order to find IE

in the DC circuit we have

10 - 0.7 = Ib*430000

hence Ic = β*(9.3/430000) = 2.15mA which is almost equals to IE since β is large enough

we know IE now

so

re = 25mV / 2.16mA = 11.57 Ω

hence Au = rL/re = 1340/11.57 = 115.8

now I need to find Vi/Vs

taking the ac circuit I get that Rs is in series with β*re||Rb

hence we have a voltage devider here and

Vi = Vs*(β*re||Rb)/(β*re||Rb+Rs)

hence

Vi/Vs = (β*re||Rb)/(β*re||Rb+Rs)

β*re||Rb = 1157||430000 = 1153 Ω

hence Vi/Vs = 1153/(1153+1000) = 0.53

so Aus = 0.53*115.8 = 62

am I correct?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your solution is correct. Good job! Just a small correction, the value of re should be 11.57 Ω instead of 115.7 Ω in the last calculation. Keep up the good work!

Related to Transistor how to find total amplification

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that can amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of semiconductor material and is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and radios.

2. How does a transistor amplify signals?

A transistor amplifies signals by controlling the flow of current between its three layers. By applying a small signal to the base layer, the transistor can control a larger current flow between the collector and emitter layers, resulting in amplified output.

3. What is total amplification?

Total amplification refers to the overall amplification achieved by a transistor in a circuit. It takes into account both the input signal and the gain of the transistor to determine the final output signal strength.

4. How can I calculate total amplification?

Total amplification can be calculated by dividing the output signal strength by the input signal strength. This is known as the gain of the transistor and is typically measured in decibels (dB).

5. How do I find the gain of a transistor?

The gain of a transistor can be found by looking at the specifications provided by the manufacturer. It is typically denoted by the symbol "hFE" and can range from a few to several hundred, depending on the type of transistor.