Transistor characteristic understanding

In summary, the circuit does not show how to measure transistor characteristics. There are no resistors at the base and collector/emitter junctions, so what will happen if VBE is larger than 1V? The transistor might be damaged by excess current. The limits that you can apply for Vbe and Vce without damaging the transistor are unknown. The diagram posted does not show how to measure transistor characteristics.
anhnha
Hi, this is not a homework. I need your help to understand basic concepts. I am learning by myself.
attachment.php?attachmentid=59380&stc=1&d=1370742960.jpg

In textbooks, I usually see the circuit used to make Ic -Vce characteristics.
I see that there are no resistors at base and collector/emitter.
What will happen if VBE is larger than 1V or more?
Is the PN juction will break down?
How about if the transistor in saturation? Then if this is ideal transistor Vce = 0 but it is also connected to a external battery VBE ≠ 0. I am totally confused. Please help.

Attachments

• Transistor.JPG
    Transistor.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 910
Physics news on Phys.org
anhnha said:
Hi, this is not a homework. I need your help to understand basic concepts. I am learning by myself.
attachment.php?attachmentid=59380&stc=1&d=1370742960.jpg

In textbooks, I usually see the circuit used to make Ic -Vce characteristics.
I see that there are no resistors at base and collector/emitter.
How about if the transistor in saturation? Then if this is ideal transistor Vce = 0 but it is also connected to a external battery VBE ≠ 0. I am totally confused. Please help.

That is not a real circuit to measure transistor characteristics. In a real one, there are meters (voltmeters and ammeters) and there are resistances. If nothing else, those of the bulk of the semiconductor and the wires.

Read http://www.electronic-factory.co.uk/transistor-operation/ and http://www.electronic-factory.co.uk/transistor-characteristics/, for example.

ehild

Thanks,
can you answer my questions with the circuit above? I am confused.
How about if the transistor in saturation? Then if this is ideal transistor Vce = 0 but it is also connected to a external battery VBE ≠ 0.

Likes 1 person
Are you sure you study from a proper book?
Yes, but the image above is in a lecture slide I got from the net.
Here is a set up in the lecture to illustrate early effect:
attachment.php?attachmentid=59382&stc=1&d=1370766971.jpg

In this circuit both Vbe and Vce can be changed.
What is the limits that I can apply for Vbe and Vce that don't break down the transistor?
For example, Vbe has to be in 0- 5V?

Attachments

• Early effect.JPG
    Early effect.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,042
The path Base->Emitter behaves like a forward biased diode.

The emitter is connected to 0V so the base voltage will be limited to roughly 0.7V. If you try and force it higher the transistor might well be damaged by excess current.

4241674044ad7174d56a93db80d272e1e86719a2_large.jpg

Personally I don't like the drawing you posted. You can control a transistor by varying the base voltage BUT it's much better to think of a transistor as a current controlled device. eg It's the base Current contols the Collector->Emitter Current.

This is because Vbe is temperature sensitive. If you try and control the base voltage the circuit can become temperature sensitive.

See this diagram which looks nearly identical but note the curves are labeled Ib rather than Vbe.

IcVce.gif

Likes 1 person

Related to Transistor characteristic understanding

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. It consists of three layers of a semiconductor material, each capable of carrying a current.

2. What is a transistor characteristic?

A transistor characteristic is a graph that shows the relationship between the input and output voltages or currents of a transistor. It is used to understand the behavior and performance of the transistor in different operating conditions.

3. What are the types of transistor characteristics?

The two main types of transistor characteristics are the input characteristics and the output characteristics. The input characteristics show the relationship between the input current and the input voltage, while the output characteristics show the relationship between the output current and the output voltage.

4. How do I interpret a transistor characteristic graph?

To interpret a transistor characteristic graph, you need to understand the different regions of the graph. The active region is where the transistor is operating as an amplifier, the cutoff region is where the transistor is turned off, and the saturation region is where the transistor is fully on. The shape of the graph can also indicate the gain and linearity of the transistor.

5. Why is it important to understand transistor characteristics?

Understanding transistor characteristics is important for designing and using electronic circuits. It allows engineers to select the right transistor for a specific application and to predict and troubleshoot the behavior of a circuit. It also helps in optimizing the performance and efficiency of electronic devices.