Transimission Of EM waves in conductors at an angle of incidence

In summary, the conversation discussed the behavior of incident electromagnetic waves when they strike a charged barrier, and how they can either be reflected or transmitted in the same plane of incidence. The issue of polarization perpendicular to the plane of incidence was also brought up, with one person struggling to understand this concept. It was clarified that the E field of light has components both parallel and perpendicular to the plane of incidence, and that the polarization direction is usually defined by the E vector. The impact of this on boundary conditions equations and the "Fresnel relations" for different polarization directions was also mentioned.
kthouz
We know that in electrodynamic when an incident Electromagnetic wave strikes a charged barrier it can either be reflected or transmits. And both of the incident, reflected and transmitted waves are in the same plane called plane of incidence.
Now, i met a problem in which they state that the light is "polarized" perpendicular to the plane of incidence. I am trying to understand how it is not in the same plane as others but i can't. Am i wrong or something else.
Please tell if you know more about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that the E field of light has a component parallel to the plane of incidence and a component perpendicular to the plane of incidence.
For some reason, you had only read about the parallel polarization.

clem said:
We know that the E field of light has a component parallel to the plane of incidence and a component perpendicular to the plane of incidence.
For some reason, you had only read about the parallel polarization.
Thank you! Actually, i read a book and i found out about those polarized wave. In this case, it is the magnetic field component which is parallel to the plane of incidence. This will have an impact on the boundary conditions equations and hence the relationship between "incident, reflected and transmitted amplitudes/intensities"

The usual definition of polarization direction is that of the E vector,
so if B is parallel to the plane of incidence, most books would call it perpendicular polarization.
The relationships between "incident, reflected and transmitted amplitudes/intensities" are well know and are called the "Fresnel relations". They are given in most EM books and
are different for the two polarization directions.

Yeah thanks for your help!

Related to Transimission Of EM waves in conductors at an angle of incidence

What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence refers to the angle at which an electromagnetic wave strikes a conductor. It is measured relative to the normal line of the conductor's surface.

How does the angle of incidence affect the transmission of EM waves?

The angle of incidence affects the amount of energy that is transmitted through the conductor. When the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the surface, the maximum amount of energy is transmitted. As the angle increases, the amount of energy transmitted decreases.

What is the critical angle for transmission of EM waves in conductors?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the transmitted energy drops to zero. This occurs when the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

Can EM waves be transmitted through conductors at any angle of incidence?

No, there are limitations to the transmission of EM waves through conductors. As the angle of incidence increases, the amount of energy transmitted decreases, eventually reaching zero at the critical angle. Additionally, the properties of the conductor, such as its conductivity and thickness, can also affect the transmission of EM waves.

How does the frequency of the EM wave affect its transmission through a conductor at an angle of incidence?

The frequency of the EM wave can also affect its transmission through a conductor at an angle of incidence. Higher frequency waves tend to be reflected more and transmitted less than lower frequency waves. This is due to the skin effect, where higher frequency waves tend to travel on the surface of the conductor rather than through it, resulting in decreased transmission.