Transient Stability in industrial network

In summary, the speaker has conducted transient stability simulations using ETAP 7.5 software on an isolated electrical network. They are facing a problem where generators return to a stable state when there is a fault on buses, but the system becomes unstable when there is a cable fault. They have two solar generators and have tried different types of exciters and governors, but the problem persists. The speaker is seeking help to understand the cause of the problem and has reduced the time fault to 80ms but still faces instability. They have also tried isolating sub systems to identify the issue.
sabersteg
Hi All
I have done transient stability simulations on isolated electrical network using ETAP 7.5 software.
Problem: On buses Faults generators return to stable stade
But on cable faults, rotor angle is diverged so the system is not stable.
To be noted that we have 2 SOLAR generators of 5MW, exciter is AC8B and governor is ST70.
Please can you help me to know what can be the problem!
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I can *decipher* your post this would mean the fault conditions on cable terminals (or somewhere in the network far from generator) gives more difficulty for the generator's rotor to stay in synchronism after the fault. This can happen in various ways if the faults are not cleared in time. But I've never work with that software and don't know about your generators and cables network parameters to be more specific.

Thanks zoki85 for your reply.
Time fault is reduced to 80ms. What I don't understant that when fault applied on Bus loacted at the extremity of the cable or on the beginning we have no problem even if time fault increase to 250ms.So I can Conclud that I have no parameter problem on generators. But when fult is applied in the cable at any distance we have the rotor angle unstable. I have tried many types of exciters with different parameters : the same problem.

sabersteg said:
But when fult is applied in the cable at any distance we have the rotor angle unstable. I have tried many types of exciters with different parameters : the same problem.
Is there maybe some element (transformer?) between generator's bus terminals and cable terminals?

Due to number of elements in the network, I try to isolate the problem by deleting sub systems. I will inform you in few time
Thanks

Related to Transient Stability in industrial network

1. What is transient stability in an industrial network?

Transient stability refers to the ability of an industrial network to maintain a stable power supply during sudden changes or disturbances in the system. This includes events like faults, switching operations, and sudden changes in load demand.

2. How is transient stability evaluated in an industrial network?

Transient stability is evaluated by studying the response of the network to various disturbances using mathematical models and simulation tools. This involves analyzing the dynamic behavior of the system and its ability to recover to a stable state after a disturbance.

3. What are the main factors that affect transient stability in an industrial network?

The main factors that affect transient stability include the network's electrical parameters (such as impedance and reactance), the type and location of the disturbance, the control and protection systems in place, and the operational characteristics of the connected equipment.

4. How can transient stability be improved in an industrial network?

Transient stability can be improved by implementing proper design and operation practices, such as using appropriate protective devices, conducting regular maintenance, and ensuring proper coordination between different components in the network. Additionally, advanced control and monitoring systems can also help in detecting and mitigating disturbances in real-time.

5. What are the consequences of poor transient stability in an industrial network?

Poor transient stability can lead to power outages, equipment damage, and safety hazards in an industrial network. It can also cause disruptions in production processes and result in financial losses. Therefore, it is crucial to maintain good transient stability to ensure reliable and safe operation of the network.