Transient Response RC series circuit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating various values for a series RC circuit with a 4Ω resistor, 1000μF capacitor, and 12V supply. The initial current in the circuit is 3.0A, the initial voltage across the capacitor is 0V, the final voltage in the capacitor is 12V, the time constant of the circuit is 4mS or 0.004S, the current in the circuit at 6ms is 0.67A, and the final energy stored in the capacitor is 0.072J. Feedback on the answer is welcome.
Physicist3
Hi, I have been given a question which involves analysis of a series RC circuit. The system in question has a 4Ω resistor in series with a 1000μF Capacitor (the capacitor is to be considered as completely uncharged before t=0). There is a 12V supply in the circuit. At t=0, a switch is closed to complete the circuit. I have been asked to calculate the following and was wondering if someone could confirm whether or not my answers are correct;

i. - initial (t=0) current in the circuit.
ii.- initial voltage across the capacitor
iii- final voltage in the capacitor
iv- time constant of the circuit
v - current in the circuit at 6ms
vi - final energy stored in the capacitor

Answers

i. initial (t=0) current in circuit = V/R = 12/4 = 3.0A

ii. Initial voltage across the capacitor = 0V (as Capacitor is uncharged before switch is closed at t=0)

iii. final voltage in capacitor = V = 12V.

iv time constant of the circuit = ζ = CR = 1000 x 10-6 * 4 = 4mS or 0.004S

v. current in circuit at t=6ms = i(t) = Ioe(-t/ζ)
this = 3.0e-(0.006/0.004) = 0.67A

vi - final energy stored in capacitor = E = (CV2/2) = (1000x10-6 * 122)/2 = 0.072J

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks good. Only kept in mind that capital "S" is reserved for Siemens, electric conductance 1/Ω. For "time" use small "s".

Related to Transient Response RC series circuit

1. What is a transient response in an RC series circuit?

The transient response in an RC series circuit refers to the behavior of the circuit when it is switched from one steady state to another. It is the response of the circuit to a sudden change in input voltage or current.

2. What factors affect the transient response of an RC series circuit?

The transient response of an RC series circuit is affected by the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit, as well as the initial voltage or current and the input signal.

3. How is the time constant of an RC series circuit determined?

The time constant of an RC series circuit is determined by the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. It represents the time it takes for the voltage or current to reach 63.2% of its final value.

4. What is the difference between a transient response and a steady state response in an RC series circuit?

A transient response is the initial response of an RC series circuit to a sudden change in input, while a steady state response is the final response of the circuit after it has reached a stable state. The steady state response is the response that remains constant over time.

5. How can the transient response of an RC series circuit be improved?

The transient response of an RC series circuit can be improved by decreasing the time constant, which can be achieved by decreasing the resistance or increasing the capacitance in the circuit. Additionally, using a higher quality capacitor can also improve the transient response.