Transient response of RL Circuit

In summary, the solution for finding the expression of the current "i" in terms of time is 3e^(20t) Amps. However, the presence of a controlled current source in the circuit means that there will be no steady state solution for the current as time approaches infinity. This can be resolved by writing a differential equation for the loop using KVL and using the Laplace transform method. The 8ix controlled source is actually a controlled voltage source, which does not contradict the math.
Cetullah

Homework Statement

Find the expression of the current "i" by terms of time.
The answer is 3e^(20t) Amps

Homework Equations

i(t)=I_final+(I_initial-I_final)*e^(-t/τ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the initial current as 3 amps. However, after the switch had been changed for too long, I m not sure about the way how the inductor behaves. Will it be a short circuit? If so, there is some problem about the loop on the right, like 8ix-6ix=0
Can the dependant source behave like that? Also I have problem about finding the time constant, I find 1/τ as 60.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Foto?raf-0054.jpg
    Foto?raf-0054.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
The controlled source is going to throw a monkey wrench into a simplistic solution involving time constants based upon the passive components alone. The controlled source will alter the energy available in the circuit over time, so it won't behave like a typical passive RL circuit.

I suggest writing the differential equation for the loop based on KVL. You know the initial value of the current. (A very easy way is to us the Laplace domain/transform method).

I can confirm that the given answer is correct.

Hard to read your image, but it looks like the controlled current source is 8 i_x and it's in series with i_x. That unfortunately is impossible.

rude man said:
Hard to read your image, but it looks like the controlled current source is 8 i_x and it's in series with i_x. That unfortunately is impossible.

Not desirable perhaps, but not impossible to solve. It means that there will be no steady state for as t → ∞. Sort of analogous to an amplifier with positive feedback. Take look at the proposed solution, and in particular, the sign of the exponent.

gneill said:
Not desirable perhaps, but not impossible to solve. It means that there will be no steady state for as t → ∞. Sort of analogous to an amplifier with positive feedback. Take look at the proposed solution, and in particular, the sign of the exponent.

Are you confirming that the 8i_x source is in series with i_x? 'Cause if you are, that is impossible.

rude man said:
Are you confirming that the 8i_x source is in series with i_x? 'Cause if you are, that is impossible.

I am confirming that the given solution can be derived from the circuit as shown.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that perhaps there is some confusion about the 8ix controlled source being in series with the ix current. That source is a controlled VOLTAGE source, so there is no contradiction in the math.

Last edited:

Related to Transient response of RL Circuit

1. What is a transient response in an RL circuit?

The transient response in an RL circuit refers to the behavior of the circuit immediately after a sudden change in input, such as a switch being turned on or off. It is characterized by a temporary surge or decay in current and voltage before reaching a steady state.

2. What factors affect the transient response of an RL circuit?

The main factors that affect the transient response of an RL circuit are the values of resistance and inductance, as well as the initial conditions of the circuit (such as the current and voltage levels at the time of the sudden change).

3. How is the transient response of an RL circuit calculated?

The transient response of an RL circuit can be calculated using differential equations that describe the behavior of the circuit. These equations take into account the values of resistance and inductance, as well as the initial conditions of the circuit.

4. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches its steady state after a sudden change in input. It is calculated by dividing the inductance by the resistance (τ = L/R) and is measured in seconds.

5. How does the transient response of an RL circuit differ from that of an RC circuit?

The main difference between the transient response of an RL circuit and an RC circuit is the presence of inductance in the RL circuit. This results in a slower response time and a longer time constant in comparison to an RC circuit. Additionally, the shape of the transient response curve will also differ due to the presence of inductance.