Transient Response: Analyzing Current with Thevenin's & Mesh/Nodal Analysis

In summary: For a capacitor, you typically include the initial voltage in the model as a voltage source. For an inductor, you typically include the initial current in the model as a current source.
pforpashya

Homework Statement

http://s741.photobucket.com/user/pforpashya/media/studybitch/untitled_zps4cac3f38.png.html?filters[user]=137200878&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I already got the solution and also verified answer in simulation.

My question is, while solving for t>0 current through capacitor I obtained using Thevenins eq.
while writing equation for vth i have to consider vc(0)=3v with the open circuited vth while applying mesh analysis.

Now if i try to do with nodal analysis and if i apply kcl at middle node do i have to consider the v(0)=3v in series with capacitor if no then please tell me why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pforpashya said:

Homework Statement

http://s741.photobucket.com/user/pforpashya/media/studybitch/untitled_zps4cac3f38.png.html?filters[user]=137200878&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I already got the solution and also verified answer in simulation.

My question is, while solving for t>0 current through capacitor I obtained using Thevenins eq.
while writing equation for vth i have to consider vc(0)=3v with the open circuited vth while applying mesh analysis.

Now if i try to do with nodal analysis and if i apply kcl at middle node do i have to consider the v(0)=3v in series with capacitor if no then please tell me why?
Hi pforpashya. Welcome to Physics Forums.

I'm not sure that I understand your question accurately. I believe that you wish to know when and why to include the initial capacitor voltage in the analysis, is that correct?

For the first step in your analysis you determined the potential on the capacitor at time t = 0 (just before the switch K is closed). That becomes the initial potential on the capacitor for the next steps in the analysis. Since you're only looking to find the capacitor current you don't really care where the initial capacitor voltage ends up in the modelling process.

If you choose to use a Thevenin equivalent model for the analysis, then you can either treat the capacitor and its initial voltage as the load that is separated from the circuit when you build the model, or you can take the uncharged capacitor as the load and leave its initial voltage with the rest of the circuit when you create the Thevenin model. So the choices are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=61131&stc=1&d=1377432284.gif

In the top circuit, the initial capacitor voltage Vo remains with the load and the Thevenin voltage Vth depends only on the 5V source in your circuit. In the bottom circuit, Vo has been folded into the Thevenin model, so V'th depends upon both the 5V source and Vo.

Does that help you?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 536
Thnks for your reply.

i have to verify answer with Nodal analysis. When I am applying nodal analysis in the middle node what will be the equation of current flowing through capacitor?

if i consider node to be v1 then current through capacitor is 0.5 d/dt(v1-3)? or 0.5d/dt (V1)?...the battery present due to initial condition, is it becoming redundant when i apply kcl?

In same way is it true for inductor, that current initially flowing through inductor not considered when applying kvl to that loop,just it is utilize to calculate k?
thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
pforpashya said:
Thnks for ur reply.

i have to verify answer with Nodal analysis. When I am applying nodal analysis in the middle node what will be the equation of current flowing through capacitor?

if i consider node to be v1 then current through capacitor is 0.5 d/dt(v1-3)? or 0.5d/dt (V1)?...the battery present due to initial condition, is it becoming redundant when i apply kcl?

In same way is it true for inductor, that current initially flowing through inductor not considered when applying kvl to that loop,just it is utilize to calculate k?
thnx in advance

For transient response, the initial conditions should be included in the analysis. For capacitors and inductors these take the form of voltage sources and/or current sources.

When using nodal analysis, you do not need to consider the initial voltage across the capacitor (v(0)=3v) because it is not connected to the middle node. Nodal analysis is used to analyze the current flowing into and out of a particular node, and since the capacitor is not connected to the middle node, its initial voltage does not affect the current at that node. However, when using Thevenin's equivalent circuit, you do need to consider the initial voltage across the capacitor because it is part of the equivalent circuit and affects the overall voltage and current in the circuit.

Related to Transient Response: Analyzing Current with Thevenin's & Mesh/Nodal Analysis

1. What is transient response?

Transient response refers to the behavior of an electrical circuit or system when it is subjected to a sudden change in its input or operating conditions. It is the analysis of how the circuit responds to changes in current or voltage over time.

2. How is current analyzed using Thevenin's analysis?

Thevenin's analysis is a method used to simplify a complex circuit into a single voltage source and series resistance. To analyze current using Thevenin's analysis, the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance are calculated and used to find the current flowing through the circuit using Ohm's law (I = V/R).

3. What is the difference between mesh and nodal analysis?

Mesh analysis and nodal analysis are two methods used to analyze electrical circuits. In mesh analysis, the circuit is divided into meshes or loops, and Kirchhoff's voltage law is used to find the voltage drops across each element. In nodal analysis, the circuit is divided into nodes, and Kirchhoff's current law is used to find the currents flowing into and out of each node.

4. How is transient response affected by the time constant?

The time constant of a circuit is the time it takes for the circuit to reach 63.2% of its final value in response to a step input. A smaller time constant indicates a faster transient response, while a larger time constant indicates a slower response. It is an important factor in designing circuits to meet specific transient response requirements.

5. What are some common applications of transient response analysis?

Transient response analysis is used in various applications, including power systems, electronic circuits, communication systems, and control systems. It is crucial in designing and testing circuits to ensure their stability, reliability, and performance in response to changes in input conditions.