Transient oscillations in transformer?

In summary, the transformer model described in the conversation produces a decaying oscillatory response even though no capacitance is included.
guillefix
Hello,

I calculated the transient response of a weakly coupled transformer (M ≠ L1L2), for a heaviside step function input. I get a decaying oscillatory response, even though I didn't include any capacitance, can this be? If interested here is the angular frequency I get:

ω=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{R_{1}R_{2}-\frac{(L_{1}R_{2}+L_{2}R_{1})^{2}}{4(M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2})}}{M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2}}}[/itex]

I think the units come out right, which is always a good check

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be much easier to help you if you would post a schematic of the transformer model, and the equations you wrote to solve the system. Show how you arrived at the solution from the equations.

Also, the system is perfectly coupled when M = SQRT(L1 L2), not M = L1 L2.

The Electrician said:
Also, the system is perfectly coupled when M = SQRT(L1 L2), not M = L1 L2.

Yes that's what I meant :P

The Electrician said:
It would be much easier to help you if you would post a schematic of the transformer model, and the equations you wrote to solve the system. Show how you arrived at the solution from the equations.

True, I should have posted more detail. The model I've used is quite simple, with just coupled inductors and resistors. The schematic is attached.

The equations I used can also be found in hyperphysics here (with another schematic acutally): http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/imgmag/tracir.gif

What I did was make Vp a heaviside step funciton, and then take the Laplace transform of both sides getting:

M*s*F1-L2*s*F2-R2*F2=M*I1(0)+L2*I2(0)=0
M*s*F2-L1*s*F1-R1*F1=-Fp+M*I2(0)+L1*I1(0)=-V0/s

Where M is the mutual inductance, F1 is the Laplace transform of I1, F2 is the laplace transform of I2, and Fp of Vp and V0 is the size of the heaviside; and the rest can be read in the picture.

I solved the linear system and got for the weakly coupled case:

[itex]F_{1}=\frac{V_{0}(L_{2}s+R_{2})}{s((M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2})s^{2}+(L_{1}R_{2}+L_{2}R_{1})s+R_{1}R_{2})}[/itex]

[itex]F_{2}=\frac{V_{0}M}{s((M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2})s^{2}+(L_{1}R_{2}+L_{2}R_{1})s+R_{1}R_{2})}[/itex]

And doing the inverse laplace:

[itex]I_{1}=\frac{V_{0}e^{-λt}}{ω(M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2})}(L_{2}sin(ωt)+R_{2}(\frac{1}{2i}(\frac{e^{(iω-λ)t}}{iω-λ}+\frac{^{-(iω+λ)t}}{iω+λ})+\frac{ω}{ω^{2}+λ^{2}}))[/itex]

Where [itex]λ=\frac{L_{1}R_{2}+L_{2}R_{1}}{2(M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2})}[/itex] and ω is what I have on my previous post. I2 is obviously similar to second part of I1.

I just realized now that my ω would be imaginary due to [itex]M^{2}-L_{1}L_{2}[/itex] being negative, which means that my sin would become an i*sinh. But I also realized the decaying exponential is not decaying anymore..I think I need to rearange this and see..

Last edited:

Related to Transient oscillations in transformer?

1. What are transient oscillations in a transformer?

Transient oscillations in a transformer are temporary fluctuations in voltage or current that occur due to changes in the electrical circuit, such as switching operations or sudden loads. These oscillations can have a significant impact on the performance and stability of the transformer.

2. What causes transient oscillations in a transformer?

Transient oscillations in a transformer can be caused by a variety of factors, including sudden changes in load, switching operations, or faults in the electrical system. They can also be caused by the inherent inductance and capacitance of the transformer itself.

3. How can transient oscillations be mitigated in a transformer?

There are several methods to mitigate transient oscillations in a transformer, including using surge suppressors, installing snubber circuits, and using transformer design techniques that minimize inductance and capacitance. Proper grounding and shielding can also help reduce the impact of transient oscillations.

4. What are the consequences of uncontrolled transient oscillations in a transformer?

If left uncontrolled, transient oscillations in a transformer can lead to voltage surges, which can damage sensitive equipment and disrupt the power system. They can also cause overheating and insulation breakdown in the transformer, leading to equipment failure and potential safety hazards.

5. How are transient oscillations measured and monitored in a transformer?

Transient oscillations can be measured and monitored using specialized instruments such as oscilloscopes and power quality analyzers. These tools can capture and analyze the waveform of the oscillations, providing valuable information for troubleshooting and preventive maintenance.