Transient Circuit 2 HW: Find i_L & v_L

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current and voltage in an inductor circuit before and after the switch is closed. It is determined that at t=0^- the current is 3mA and the voltage is 0V. At t=0^+ the current remains at 3mA and the voltage is -6V. The conversation also discusses the concept of transients and the role of inductors in suppressing voltage spikes. Finally, there is a correction made to the time constant calculation for the circuit.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I felt some more practice for this was needed and I want to make sure I really understand. The circuit is given:

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 5.46.29 PM.png

I'm asked to find the current in the inductor just before the switch is closed ##( i_L(t = 0^-) )##.

Then I'm asked to find ##v_L## at the instant just after the switch is closed ##( v_L(t = 0^+) ).##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for ##t = 0^-##, the switch is open, and so we have a simple series circuit. The circuit is in steady state and the inductor is behaving like a short circuit. Hence the current ##i_L(t = 0^-) = 3mA## because everything is in series. Also, ##v_L(t = 0^-) = 0V##.

That seemed simple enough.

Now I need to find ##v_L(t = 0^+)##.

So first off, for ##t = 0^+##, the inductor remembers it's current from before, so ##i_L(t = 0^-) = i_L(t = 0^+) = 3 mA##.

Now since the switch is closed does that mean the current source gets short circuited?

Would that mean ##v_R = IR = (3 mA)(2k) = 6V##?

Now KVL would give ##v_R - v_L = 0 \Rightarrow v_L(t = 0^+) = 6V##.

Is this even reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are good so far. For t>0, you just have the resistor and inductor in series, with the initial conditions you have shown. The resistor is lossy, so the current decays from 3mA to 0mA over some amount of time (exponentially). Can you write the differential equation that you will use to solve for the time constant and i(t)?

Remember the main Idea of an Inductor. An Inductor resists changes in electric current.

A transient event is a short-lived burst of energy (electrons). A transient is an oscillation or a change in electric current. The higher the change of current the more resistance in the inductor coil (microseconds). The coil(s) will spin the electro magnetic flux field in opposition (Impedance).
A surge suppressor, a transient voltage suppressor is mostly made from an inductor. Inductors suppresses voltage spikes or transient voltage surges.

One thing to check is the definitions of any voltages on the diagram. ##V_L## is defined as having its + end at the top of the inductor. Make sure that the voltage you calculate via KVL has this definition in mind.

berkeman said:
Yes, you are good so far. For t>0, you just have the resistor and inductor in series, with the initial conditions you have shown. The resistor is lossy, so the current decays from 3mA to 0mA over some amount of time (exponentially). Can you write the differential equation that you will use to solve for the time constant and i(t)?

So what I wrote was actually correct for those two questions? Great! I'm having an off day so I'm glad to hear I did something right.

If I was asked to find the current ##i_L(t > 0)## I would be plugging in to:

##i_L(t > 0) = I_F + (I_I - I_F)e^{\frac{-t}{\tau_L}}##

Where ##\tau_L = \frac{R_{th}}{L}##.

I already know ##i_L(t = 0^-) = i_L(t = 0^+) = 3mA = I_I## from before. It can be observed ##R_{th} = 2k## by looking into the terminals of the inductor, and so ##\tau_L = \frac{2k}{1H} = 2 \times 10^3 s##.

Now as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, ##i_L(t \rightarrow \infty) = 0 = I_F## because of the resistor dissipating the current and the inductor behaves like a short circuit again.

Therefore ##i_L(t > 0) = (3mA)e^{\frac{-t}{2 \times 10^3 s}}##

Zondrina said:
So what I wrote was actually correct for those two questions? Great! I'm having an off day so I'm glad to hear I did something right.

If I was asked to find the current ##i_L(t > 0)## I would be plugging in to:

##i_L(t > 0) = I_F + (I_I - I_F)e^{\frac{-t}{\tau_L}}##

Where ##\tau_L = \frac{R_{th}}{L}##.

I already know ##i_L(t = 0^-) = i_L(t = 0^+) = 3mA = I_I## from before. It can be observed ##R_{th} = 2k## by looking into the terminals of the inductor, and so ##\tau_L = \frac{2k}{1H} = 2 \times 10^3 s##.

Now as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, ##i_L(t \rightarrow \infty) = 0 = I_F## because of the resistor dissipating the current and the inductor behaves like a short circuit again.

Therefore ##i_L(t > 0) = (3mA)e^{\frac{-t}{2 \times 10^3 s}}##

Re-check your time constant there scooter! :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RL_circuit

Likes STEMucator
berkeman said:
Re-check your time constant there scooter! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RL_circuit

Ahaha I can't even believe that happened. Feels too movie like to be true.

##\tau_L = 0.5 ms##

gneill said:
One thing to check is the definitions of any voltages on the diagram. ##V_L## is defined as having its + end at the top of the inductor. Make sure that the voltage you calculate via KVL has this definition in mind.

I always go clockwise. Is my voltage wrong or something?

##v_L + v_R = 0 \Rightarrow v_L(t = 0^+) = -6V##

Zondrina said:
I always go clockwise. Is my voltage wrong or something?

##v_L + v_R = 0 \Rightarrow v_L(t = 0^+) = -6V##

That's better :)

Likes STEMucator
gneill said:
That's better :)

Awesome. I think I get it all conceptually now. Should be better after a sleep.

Tomorrows just another day right.

Related to Transient Circuit 2 HW: Find i_L & v_L

1. What is a transient circuit?

A transient circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains elements that change over time, such as capacitors and inductors. These elements store and release energy, causing the voltage and current in the circuit to vary over time.

2. What is the purpose of finding i_L and v_L in a transient circuit?

Finding i_L (the current through an inductor) and v_L (the voltage across an inductor) is important in analyzing transient circuits because these values determine how the circuit will behave over time. They can help predict the behavior of the circuit during the transient period, which is when the circuit is transitioning from one steady state to another.

3. How do you calculate i_L and v_L in a transient circuit?

The equations for calculating i_L and v_L in a transient circuit depend on the specific circuit configuration. In general, i_L can be calculated using the equation i_L = I_0 + (V_0/R)e^(-Rt/L), where I_0 is the initial current, V_0 is the initial voltage, R is the resistance, t is time, and L is the inductance. v_L can be calculated using the equation v_L = V_0e^(-Rt/L).

4. What factors affect i_L and v_L in a transient circuit?

The values of the inductance, resistance, and initial current and voltage all affect i_L and v_L in a transient circuit. Additionally, the type of input signal and the values of any other circuit elements (such as capacitors or resistors) can also impact these values.

5. How can i_L and v_L be used to analyze a transient circuit?

i_L and v_L can be used to plot the behavior of a transient circuit over time. By analyzing the graphs of these values, it is possible to determine how the circuit will behave during the transient period, including the peak values of current and voltage and the time it takes for the circuit to reach a steady state.