Transforming Trigonometeric Identities II

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary: The first equality is from $\sec^2\!x = 1 + \tan^2\!x$. The second equality is from $\sec^2\!x = \frac{1}{\cos^2\!x}$,and using $\sec^2\!x - 1 = \tan^2\!x$.
Drain Brain
Transform the left member to the right member.

$\frac{\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi)+\cos^{4}(\phi)+2\cos^{2}(\phi)+\sin^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}=\frac{3+\tan^{2}(\phi)}{1-\tan^{4}(\phi)}$

I begin by regrouping the numerator of the left member$\frac{\left(\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi)+\cos^{4}(\phi)\right)+2\cos^{2}(\phi)+\sin^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$

then factoring out $\cos^{2}(\phi)$ I get,$\frac{\left(\cos^{2}(\phi)\left(\sin^{2}(\phi)+\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)+2\cos^{2}(\phi)+\sin^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$

using Pythagorean identity

$\frac{\left(\cos^{2}(\phi)(1)+2\cos^{2}(\phi)+\sin^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}=\frac{\left(3\cos^{2}(\phi)+\sin^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$knowing that $\cot^{2}(\phi)\sin^{2}(\phi)=\cos^{2}(\phi)$ and $\tan^{2}(\phi)(\cos^{2}(\phi)=\sin^{2}(\phi)$ I will replace the terms in the numerator with these relations.

$\frac{\left(3\cot^{2}(\phi)\sin^{2}(\phi)+\tan^{2}(\phi)(\cos^{2}\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$

I will now express $\cot^{2}(\phi)$ in terms of tan,$\frac{\left(\frac{3}{tan^{2}(\phi)}\sin^{2}(\phi)+\tan^{2}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$

factoring out $\frac{3}{tan^{2}(\phi)}$

$\frac{\frac{1}{tan^{2}(\phi)}\left(3\sin^{2}(\phi)+\tan^{4}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)}{1-\tan^{2}(\phi)}$

placing $\tan^{2}(\phi)$ in the numerator and distributing into the denominator I have

$\frac{\left(3\sin^{2}(\phi)+\tan^{4}(\phi)\cos^{2}(\phi)\right)}{\tan^{2}(\phi)-\tan^{4}(\phi)}$

further manipulation of the second term in the numerator and factoring out $\sin^{2}(\phi)$ I wound up with,

$\frac{\sin^{2}(\phi)\left(3+\tan^{2}(\phi)\right)}{\tan^{2}(\phi)-\tan^{4}(\phi)}$

From here I couldn't go any further. What should I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are good up to this point:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sin^2(\phi)\left(3+\tan^{2}(\phi)\right)}{\tan^{2}(\phi)-\tan^{4}(\phi)}\)

Divide numerator and denominator by $\sin^2(\phi)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{3+\tan^{2}(\phi)}{\sec^2(\phi)\left(1-\tan^{2}(\phi)\right)}\)

Now, apply a Pythagorean identity to $\sec^2(\phi)$, and what is the result?

Hello, Drain Brain!
Prove: $\;\dfrac{\sin^2\!x\cos^2\!x+\cos^4\!x+2\cos^2\!x+\sin^2\!x}{1-\tan^2\!x)}\:=\:\dfrac{3+\tan^2\!x}{1-\tan^4\!x}$

You did fine, up to: $\;\dfrac{3\cos^2\!x+\sin^2\!x}{1-\tan^2\!x}$

Multiply by $\frac{1+\tan^2\!x}{1+\tan^2\!x}$

$\quad\dfrac{1+\tan^2\!x}{1+\tan^2\!x}\cdot\dfrac{3\cos^2\!x + \sin^2\!x}{1-\tan^2\!x} \;=\;\dfrac{\sec^2\!x(3\cos^2\!x + \sin^2\!x)}{1-\tan^4\!x}$

$\quad =\;\dfrac{3\sec^2\!x\cos^2\!x +\sec^2\!x\sin^2\!x}{1-\tan^4\!x} \;=\; \dfrac{3 + \tan^2\!x}{1-\tan^4\!x}$

Related to Transforming Trigonometeric Identities II

1. What is the purpose of transforming trigonometric identities?

The purpose of transforming trigonometric identities is to simplify complex expressions involving trigonometric functions. This can help in solving equations, proving identities, and solving geometric problems.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities used in transformations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in transformations include the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference identities, the double angle identities, and the half angle identities.

3. What are the main techniques for transforming trigonometric identities?

The main techniques for transforming trigonometric identities are substitution, factoring, using the fundamental identities, and manipulating algebraic expressions.

4. How do I know which transformation to use for a specific identity?

In order to determine which transformation to use for a specific identity, you should first try to identify the type of identity (e.g. Pythagorean, sum and difference, double angle, etc.). Then, based on the given expression, you can choose the appropriate technique to transform it.

5. Can trigonometric identities be used in real-world applications?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used in various real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can help in solving problems involving angles and distances, as well as in analyzing wave patterns and oscillations.