Transforming the EM field tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transformation of the electromagnetic field tensor when performing a rotation around the y-axis and a boost along the z-axis. The relevant equation is F'_{\mu\nu}=\Lambda^\mu_\rho \Lambda^\nu_\sigma F_{\rho\sigma}, and the transformation matrices are given for the rotation around y. The speaker mentions trying to perform matrix multiplication twice, but realizing that this is not correct. They then ask for clarification on which Lambda should be inverted when transforming a covariant tensor.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

So, I'm asked to find how the fields (E, and B) transform by transforming the electromagnetic field tensor.

The transformations are a) rotation around y axis, and b) boost along z.

Homework Equations

[tex]F'_{\mu\nu}=\Lambda^\mu_\rho \Lambda^\nu_\sigma F_{\rho\sigma}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, doing part a) I think the above equation should be right...and for the transformation matrices, I just put the rotation around y:

[tex]\Lambda^\mu_\nu =\begin{bmatrix} 1&0&0&0 \\ 0&cos(\theta)&0&sin(\theta)\\0&0&1&0\\0&-sin(\theta)&0&cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I trid just doing the matrix multiplication twice, but that can't be right because the answer I get is not anti-symmetric (and so I can't extract the information I need). Does the equation above not represent matrix multiplying twice? I thought it did since the transformation for a 4-vector is simply matrix multiplication once.

The answer does not seem to be just:

[tex]F'_{\mu\nu}=\begin{bmatrix} 1&0&0&0 \\ 0&cos(\theta)&0&sin(\theta)\\0&0&1&0\\0&-sin(\theta)&0&cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix}(\begin{bmatrix} 1&0&0&0 \\ 0&cos(\theta)&0&sin(\theta)\\0&0&1&0\\0&-sin(\theta)&0&cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0&E_x&E_y&E_z \\ -E_x&0&-B_z&B_y\\-E_y&B_z&0&-B_x\\-E_z&-B_y&B_x&0 \end{bmatrix})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, my friend helped me and figured out I need to sandwich the F inside the lambdas...and one of them has to be inverse...but which one should be inverse for me transforming a covariant tensor? Is it Lambda^-1 F Lambda or Lambda F Lambda^-1?

I think the only difference is that I rotate either by +theta or -theta...but supposing I want to rotate by +theta...?

Related to Transforming the EM field tensor

What is the EM field tensor?

The EM field tensor is a mathematical construct that describes the electromagnetic field in terms of its electric and magnetic components. It is used in the theory of electromagnetism to simplify and unify the equations that govern the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

How is the EM field tensor transformed?

The EM field tensor is transformed using a Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between different frames of reference in special relativity. This transformation allows for the description of the electromagnetic field in different reference frames.

What are the benefits of transforming the EM field tensor?

Transforming the EM field tensor allows for a more concise and elegant representation of the electromagnetic field. It also helps to unify the equations that govern electric and magnetic fields, making it easier to study and understand the behavior of the electromagnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of transforming the EM field tensor?

One of the most significant applications is in the field of particle accelerators, where the transformation of the EM field tensor is used to calculate the trajectories of particles moving at high speeds. It is also used in the development of electromagnetic lenses and in the study of plasma physics.

How does transforming the EM field tensor relate to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, but they can be simplified and unified using the EM field tensor. By transforming the EM field tensor, we can derive the equations of motion for electric and magnetic fields, as well as the relationship between them, known as Maxwell's equations.