Transforming Elements: Breaking Down Car Emissions

• Thread starter CanadianChris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting atoms into molecules and breaking down molecules into their basic atoms. The process requires energy and in some cases, a technique or catalyst to speed up the reaction. The energy needed depends on the specific reaction and can vary greatly. However, it is important to note that there is conservation of energy and the same amount of energy gained from burning a molecule is needed to break it down.
CanadianChris
Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how this works but I'm not having much luck. Doesn't help that I'm not a science person to start with, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

I understand the basic idea that if you have 2 Hydrogen atoms + 1 Oxygen atoms you can somehow convert the 3 separate atoms to create 1 water molecule.

But how does that actually happen?

Does it require a particle accelerator or something to do?

For what I'm specifically looking to understand is how to break down car emmissions - carbon mon-oxide and carbon di-oxide into their basic atoms of carbon and oxygen.

But I haven't got a clue how to do it.

Can somebody provide some insight on how this is actually done?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thread moved from Tutorials section to Chemistry.

CanadianChris said:
Does it require a particle accelerator or something to do?
No, just sufficient energy to form covalent bonds. In fact, you can create water using nothing more than a balloon filled with oxygen and hydrogen in a 1:2 ratio and a flame, I'm surprise you've never seen this demonstration.

How much energy are we talking about?

Is energy the only thing that is needed to do this process? I.e. if I have the oxygen and the hydrogen atoms present, I don't need anything else aside from the energy?

What if I'm trying to do the reverse and split the molecule? I.e. if I'm trying to splie a water molecule into it's hydrogen and oxygen atoms? Does that simply require energy as well?

CanadianChris said:
Does that simply require energy as well?
Yes, lots of energy (think several tens of thousands of degrees in temperature)...but also, some technique to quickly separate the oxygen from hydrogen before they recombine.

As for breaking down your car emissions - what's the point of that?

Depends on what you want to make and how much.

Is energy the only thing that is needed to do this process? I.e. if I have the oxygen and the hydrogen atoms present, I don't need anything else aside from the energy?

Yes...but you also need time. A reaction might go in the direction of your product because there is enough energy put into it, but this doesn't mean that it will happen quickly. Some reactions happen spontaneously but take 100s and thousands of years to go to completion. Catalysts offer us a way to make the same reaction go much faster. Kinetic and Thermodynamic perspectives of a reaction can be much much different in certain situations.

What if I'm trying to do the reverse and split the molecule? I.e. if I'm trying to splie a water molecule into it's hydrogen and oxygen atoms? Does that simply require energy as well?

Yes.

CanadianChris said:
Look up the bond enthalpies for H-O bonds. How much chemistry do you know?

CanadianChris, pleasae understand that there is conservation of energy. A car gets the energy to move by changing hydrocarbons and oxygen into (mostly) carbon dioxide and water. Splitting these back into their constituent molecules requires all of the energy that you gained from burning the hydrocarbon in the first place (or even more if you want to keep them in element form).

Related to Transforming Elements: Breaking Down Car Emissions

1. How do car emissions contribute to air pollution?

Car emissions release pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter into the air. These pollutants can cause a variety of health issues and contribute to the formation of smog and acid rain.

2. What is the process of breaking down car emissions?

Car emissions are broken down through a process called catalytic conversion, which uses a catalytic converter to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful substances through a series of chemical reactions.

3. How effective is catalytic conversion in reducing car emissions?

Catalytic conversion is highly effective in reducing car emissions. It can reduce emissions of carbon monoxide by up to 90%, nitrogen oxides by up to 50%, and hydrocarbons by up to 70%.

4. What are some other methods for reducing car emissions?

Other methods for reducing car emissions include using alternative fuels such as electric or hybrid vehicles, improving engine design and efficiency, and implementing stricter emissions standards and regulations.

5. How can individuals help reduce car emissions?

Individuals can help reduce car emissions by carpooling, using public transportation, walking or biking when possible, and properly maintaining their vehicles to ensure they are running efficiently. They can also support policies and initiatives that promote cleaner transportation options.