Transformers for Efficient Power Transmission | Calculating Line Loss

In summary, a transmission line with a resistance per unit length of 4.5*10^-4 ohms/m is being used to transmit 5 MW over 400 miles. The output voltage of the generator is 4.5 kV. If a transformer is used to step up the voltage to 500 kV, the line loss can be calculated using the formula P1=I1^2*R and solving for I1. Then, using the equation I1*V1 = I2*V2 and solving for I2, we can get the power being transmitted. Subtracting this power from the original 5 MW gives us the power lost due to Joule effect. However, the answer may not be accurate
andrew410
A transmission line that has a resistance per unit length of 4.5*10^-4 ohms/m is to be used to transmit 5 MW over 400 miles (6.44*10^5 m). The output voltage of the generator is 4.5 kV.
a) What is the line loss if a transformer is used to step up the voltage to 500 kV?
b) What fraction of the input power is lost to the line under thses circumstances?

For part A, I used P1=I1^2*R and solved it for I1. Then I used I1*V1 = I2*V2 and solved it for I2. Next, I got the power using I2 and subtracted P1 with the power that I just got. The answer is wrong though...
Can anyone help please? Thx! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how u define the "line loss",but you can easily compute the lost power due to Joule effect.

What is the current running through the wire in both cases...?Give the method & result.

Daniel.

a) To calculate the line loss, we first need to find the current (I1) flowing through the transmission line. Using the formula P1 = I1^2 * R, we can rearrange it to get I1 = √(P1/R). Plugging in the given values, we get I1 = √(5*10^6/4.5*10^-4) = 106.07 A.

Next, we can use the formula I1*V1 = I2*V2 to find the current (I2) flowing through the transformer. Since the output voltage of the generator (V1) is 4.5 kV, we get I2 = I1*V1/V2 = 106.07*4.5/500 = 0.954 A.

Now, we can calculate the power lost in the line by using the formula Ploss = I2^2*R = (0.954)^2*4.5*10^-4 = 0.0041 MW or 4.1 kW.

b) The fraction of input power lost to the line can be calculated by dividing the line loss by the input power. In this case, the input power is 5 MW, so the fraction of power lost is 0.0041 MW/5 MW = 0.00082 or 0.082%. This means that only a very small fraction of the input power is lost in the transmission line.

Note: It is important to note that the above calculations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account any other losses such as in the transformer itself or due to other factors such as capacitance and inductance.

Related to Transformers for Efficient Power Transmission | Calculating Line Loss

1. What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire called the primary and secondary windings, which are wrapped around a core made of iron or other magnetic material. When an alternating current (AC) flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a voltage in the secondary winding. This allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to another without direct electrical connection.

2. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage from the primary winding to the secondary winding, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and distribution transformers, each with their own specific uses and functions within electrical systems.

3. What are the common applications of transformers?

Transformers are used in a wide range of applications, including power generation and distribution, electronics, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in household appliances such as televisions, radios, and chargers. Power transformers are used to step-up or step-down voltage in power grids, while instrument transformers are used to measure and control electrical quantities in power systems.

4. How do I choose the right transformer for my needs?

Choosing the right transformer depends on several factors, including the required voltage, current, and power rating. You should also consider the frequency and type of current (AC or DC), as well as the size, weight, and cost of the transformer. It is important to consult with a professional or do thorough research to ensure that you select the appropriate transformer for your specific application.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a transformer?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of a transformer. This includes checking for any loose connections, signs of overheating or damage, and ensuring proper oil levels in oil-filled transformers. Troubleshooting a transformer involves identifying and addressing any issues such as low voltage output, short circuits, or insulation breakdown. It is recommended to consult with a trained professional for any maintenance or troubleshooting procedures.