Transformers - Don't understand VpIp = VsIs

In summary: So it adds to the 1.36 mA. So the primary current is a little higher. But it is still only in the mA range and poses no danger to you.In summary, the equation VpIp = VsIs holds true for any transformer, meaning that the load connected to either the primary or secondary will receive the same amount of power. A 220v-3v step down transformer allows for an LED to be connected without burning due to the higher current in the secondary. However, the primary current also includes the magnetizing current which adds slightly to the overall current. Nonetheless, the primary current remains in the safe mA range.
alexmath
transformers -- Don't understand VpIp = VsIs

Homework Statement

If the equation below of any transformer is true, therefore it does not matter if i connect a lightbulb or anything else either to the primary or the secundary, it should be working the same, right? I have a 220v-3v step down transformer and i can connect an led without burning it. How is that possible? Do we lose power here? Shouldn't be the current much higher in the secondary?

Homework Equations

VpIp = VsIs

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
alexmath said:

Homework Statement

If the equation below of any transformer is true, therefore it does not matter if i connect a lightbulb or anything else either to the primary or the secundary, it should be working the same, right? I have a 220v-3v step down transformer and i can connect an led without burning it. How is that possible? Do we lose power here? Shouldn't be the current much higher in the secondary?

Homework Equations

VpIp = VsIs

The Attempt at a Solution

Why should the current be any higher than what the load requires? I think you need to study transformer fundamentals and perhaps electronics fundamentals such as ohm's law.

alexmath said:

Homework Statement

Shouldn't be the current much higher in the secondary?

The current IS much higher in the secondary. Your turns ratio is 220/3 = 73.3 = N1/N2.
So if your load current is say 100 mA then your primary current is 100/73.3 = 1.36 mA. However, the primary current also includes the magnetizing current which depends on the primary winding inductance and your frequency of operation, and which is 90 deg. (approx.) out of phase with the secondary current.

Related to Transformers - Don't understand VpIp = VsIs

What are Transformers?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the principle of electromagnetic induction. They are commonly used in power distribution systems and electronic devices.

How do Transformers work?

Transformers work by using two or more coils of wire, called windings, that are wrapped around a magnetic core. When an alternating current (AC) flows through one of the windings, it creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage in the other winding, allowing for the transfer of electrical energy.

What is VpIp = VsIs in relation to Transformers?

VpIp = VsIs is the equation that represents the relationship between the voltage and current on the primary (Vp and Ip) and secondary (Vs and Is) sides of a transformer. This equation is known as the transformer equation and is used to calculate the transformer's turns ratio and determine the voltage and current levels on each side.

Why is it important to understand VpIp = VsIs?

Understanding VpIp = VsIs is important because it allows us to design and use transformers effectively. By knowing the turns ratio and voltage/current levels on each side, we can ensure that the transformer is operating within its specifications and not causing any damage to the connected circuits.

What are some common applications of Transformers?

Transformers have a wide range of applications, including power distribution, voltage regulation, isolation, and signal processing in electronic devices. They are also used in electric motors, generators, and audio equipment.