Transformers connected in wye-delta

In summary, the task is to determine the maximum load that can be connected to a bank of three single phase transformers, each rated at 100kVA and connected in a wye-delta configuration. The transformers have a primary voltage of 2.4kV and a secondary voltage of 13.2kV. The question also raises doubts about the voltage rating of three phase transformers.
a_hargy

Homework Statement

Three single phase transformers rated 100kVA, 13.2kV/2.4KV are connected in wye-delta on a 3-phase, 18kV line.

I need to find the maximum load that can be connected to the transformer bank and the outgoing line voltage.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stuck, so far I've got:
Voltage across primary is 2.4kV therefore voltage across secondary is 13.2kV
Es=13.2[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]=22.86kV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
This can't be right can it? Do you have a 2.4KV transformer connected to an 18KV line?

I'm not 100% sure if that's what the question is implying as I'm completely stuck on it.
Thanks for the quick reply though.

Well, I don't know how 3 phase transformers are voltage rated, as I haven't studied them. However, if the voltage of a Delta is measured from phase to phase and voltage of a Wye is measured neutral to any phase, then you don't use the factor of sqrt(3).

I would start by first confirming the information provided in the homework statement. It is correct that the voltage across the primary winding is 2.4kV and the voltage across the secondary winding is 13.2kV. However, the calculation for the secondary line voltage is incorrect. The correct calculation is 13.2kV x √3 = 22.86kV, as you have correctly stated.

Next, I would use the formula for power (P=VI) to calculate the maximum load that can be connected to the transformer bank. The primary voltage is 2.4kV and the secondary voltage is 13.2kV, so the voltage ratio is 13.2/2.4 = 5.5. This means that the current on the secondary side will be 5.5 times the current on the primary side. Since the transformers are rated 100kVA, the maximum load that can be connected is 100kVA/5.5 = 18.18kVA.

Finally, to determine the outgoing line voltage, I would use the formula for voltage ratios (Vp/Vs = Np/Ns) where Vp is the primary voltage, Vs is the secondary voltage, Np is the number of turns on the primary winding, and Ns is the number of turns on the secondary winding. In this case, since the transformers are connected in wye-delta, the number of turns on the primary winding is equal to the number of turns on the secondary winding. Therefore, the voltage ratio (Vp/Vs) is equal to 1. This means that the outgoing line voltage will also be 13.2kV.

In summary, the maximum load that can be connected to the transformer bank is 18.18kVA and the outgoing line voltage is 13.2kV. It is important to double check all calculations and formulas to ensure accuracy in your solution.

Related to Transformers connected in wye-delta

1. What is a wye-delta connection in transformers?

A wye-delta connection is a way of connecting three-phase transformers where the primary winding is connected in a wye configuration and the secondary winding is connected in a delta configuration. This type of connection is commonly used in power distribution systems due to its ability to handle high voltages and currents.

2. What is the purpose of a wye-delta connection in transformers?

The purpose of a wye-delta connection is to step down high voltage and current levels to lower, more manageable levels for distribution and use. It also helps to balance the load across all three phases, improving overall system efficiency and reducing the risk of power interruptions.

3. How does a wye-delta connection affect the voltage and current in a transformer?

In a wye-delta connection, the voltage on the primary side is typically higher than the voltage on the secondary side. The current, on the other hand, is usually lower on the primary side and higher on the secondary side. This is due to the difference in the number of windings and the configuration of the windings in the two sides of the transformer.

4. What are the advantages of using a wye-delta connection in transformers?

One of the main advantages of a wye-delta connection is its ability to handle high voltages and currents, making it suitable for use in power distribution systems. It also helps to balance the load across all three phases, reducing the risk of power interruptions. Additionally, this type of connection allows for easier maintenance and troubleshooting as each phase can be examined separately.

5. Are there any limitations to using a wye-delta connection in transformers?

While a wye-delta connection has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is not suitable for single-phase loads and can cause voltage unbalance if the loads on each phase are not evenly distributed. It also requires more complex wiring compared to other transformer connections, which can increase installation costs.