Transformer Voltage Question: Understanding V_2/V_1 = N_2/N_1 Formula Explained

In summary, the voltage across the secondary coil is not constant, and depends on the level of sophistication required.
pez
Hey everyone, I had a question on a question about transformers:

The primary coil of a transformer contains 100 turns; the secondary has 200 turns. The primary coil is connected to a size AA battery that supplies a constant voltage of 1.5 volts. What voltage would be measured across the secondary coil?

So, I figured V_2/V_1 = N_2/N_1, where N = the number of coils and V = the volt. This led me to an answer of 3V, which is incorrect. Can someone explain why this is so? The question says the voltage is constant, so shouldn't the formula work?

Physics news on Phys.org
pez said:
Hey everyone, I had a question on a question about transformers:
The primary coil of a transformer contains 100 turns; the secondary has 200 turns. The primary coil is connected to a size AA battery that supplies a constant voltage of 1.5 volts. What voltage would be measured across the secondary coil?
So, I figured V_2/V_1 = N_2/N_1, where N = the number of coils and V = the volt. This led me to an answer of 3V, which is incorrect. Can someone explain why this is so? The question says the voltage is constant, so shouldn't the formula work?
The answer to give depends on the level of sophistication that you need.
Simple answer is of course that a transformer doesn't transform DC values. But depending on the sophistication, one might want the *transient* response of the transformer when you *connect* the battery. That's slightly more involved...

I recognize this question. This is a basic situation in which the student is supposed to recognize the *type* of electric current that must be used for transformation. So the the initial induction (as the switch is closed) is probably not what is asked for here.

So, what kind of current is required for a transformet to step-up or step-down voltage?

Related to Transformer Voltage Question: Understanding V_2/V_1 = N_2/N_1 Formula Explained

What are the "Transformers"?

The "Transformers" are a popular franchise that originated as a line of toys in the 1980s. It has since expanded into various forms of media, including comic books, animated series, and live-action movies. The premise revolves around a war between two factions of alien robots, the Autobots and the Decepticons, who can transform into various vehicles and objects.

Who created the "Transformers" franchise?

The "Transformers" franchise was created by the toy company Hasbro and the Japanese toy company Takara Tomy. The original toy line was developed by Hasbro's toy designers, who were inspired by the Japanese toy line "Diaclone" and "Microman". The franchise has since been developed and expanded by various writers, artists, and filmmakers.

Are "Transformers" real?

No, "Transformers" are not real. They are fictional characters in a popular franchise. However, the concept of machines that can transform into other forms has been explored and developed by various scientists and engineers, and some technologies have been developed that resemble the transformation abilities of "Transformers".

What is the difference between Autobots and Decepticons?

The Autobots and Decepticons are two factions of alien robots in the "Transformers" franchise. The Autobots are usually depicted as the protagonists, who fight for peace and justice, while the Decepticons are the antagonists, who seek power and control. The Autobots are often portrayed as heroic and noble, while the Decepticons are portrayed as evil and ruthless.

How many "Transformers" movies are there?

As of 2021, there are six live-action "Transformers" movies: "Transformers" (2007), "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" (2009), "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" (2011), "Transformers: Age of Extinction" (2014), "Transformers: The Last Knight" (2017), and "Bumblebee" (2018). There are also numerous animated movies and TV series based on the franchise.