Transformer output current question

In summary, current does not exist until there is a load. A transformer has two pairs of terminals called the input pair and the output pair. The input and output terminals are usually electrically isolated from each other. Current flows in the primary circuit and creates a voltage between the secondary terminals by magnetic action. The ratio of the secondary voltage to the primary is a characteristic property of the transformer.
johny radio
hello, I'm super noob. My understanding is not yet clear.

it sounds like folks here are describing current as something that's output by the transformer, but i thought current does not exist until there's a load.

so my question is, how big of a load can it handle (not sure what 'big' really means, but anyway...) ... i thought that was the OP's question.

for example, i have a 12 volt battery rated at 5 amp-hours. if i step it down to 6 volts, would the secondary winding have a 'rating' of greater than 5 amp-hours?

or rather, will i increase the effective amp-hours of the battery by stepping down its voltage? or, will the battery be able to drive a more demanding load? or, will i be able to draw more instantaneous current?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Good morning Johny radio and welcome to Physics Forums.

You should not add on to old threads like this, you should start a new one of your own.
It is perfectly legitimate to start with a small quote from an old one and ask for an explanation of something you don't understand.

Transformers are usually four terminal devices.
More complicated transformers do exist.
That is they have two pairs of terminals called the input pair (also called the primary) and the output pair (also called the secondary).

It is very important to realize that they are AC devices and do not work on DC so your query about connecting batteries does not form a valid connection method.

The input and output terminals are usually electrically isolated from each other.
The transformer has no source of (electrical) energy of its own.

So yes, you are correct, nothing happens unless we connect the terminals to circuits.

The primary termianls are connected across a source of alternating voltage.
Current then flows in the primary circuit and creates a voltage between the secondary terminals by magnetic action.

The ratio of the secondary voltage to the primary is a characteristic property of the transformer. So the secondary voltage is n times the primary.

n can be equal to one, greater than one or less than one.

At this point there is no secondary circuit, but if we now connect a load across the secondary terminals current will flow.
In real world transformers the secondary voltage will drop slightly when 'on load' like this.

This current is determined by dividing the secondary voltage by the load resistance.

<< Posts moved to a new thread >>

Related to Transformer output current question

What is a transformer output current?

A transformer output current is the amount of electric current that is produced by a transformer and delivered to an electrical load.

How is transformer output current calculated?

The transformer output current is calculated by dividing the output power by the output voltage. This can be represented by the formula: I = P / V, where I is the output current, P is the output power, and V is the output voltage.

What factors affect transformer output current?

The main factors that affect transformer output current are the input voltage, the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, and the load resistance. Other factors include the type of transformer, frequency, and temperature.

What is the difference between transformer output current and input current?

The transformer output current is the current that is delivered to the load, while the input current is the current that is drawn from the power source. The transformer output current is usually lower than the input current due to losses in the transformer.

How is transformer output current related to power and voltage?

Transformer output current is directly proportional to power and inversely proportional to voltage. This means that as the output power increases, the output current also increases, while a decrease in output voltage results in an increase in output current.