Transformer open/short circuit test

In summary, the conversation is about a confusion regarding the calculation of impedance in AC power questions. The formulas used in DC power questions are different from those in AC power questions, and the use of complex numbers is necessary in AC circuits. The power triangle is also mentioned as a helpful tool in understanding these concepts.
Luchekv
Hi guys,
The problem isn't with the question itself its more to do with the fact about how they got Z and R. Just need some clarification.
confused.png

In every other AC power question. I have always worked out impedance with whatever parameters I had be it P/I^2 or V/I. I'm confused as to what the difference here is? Now I'm being thrown off and don't know what I'm calculating in other questions :S
Both of those formulas work out 'R' as can be seen here..so why are they getting two different numbers?
sds.png

Thank you in advance guys

Physics news on Phys.org
you have posted ohms law for DC not AC.

is that your confusion?

you know to replace R in your circular crib sheet with

Z = R + (Xl - Xc)j

?

I'm confused as to why Z = V/I and not R...but P/I^2 does

Luchekv said:
I'm confused as to why Z = V/I and not R...

You confused why Z does not equal R?

Z = V/I is ohms law for AC circuits

Z equals R when there is no reactive component.

Z is the total opposition to current flow defined as I wrote previously.are you happy with complex numbers (both using j notation and polar notation, and swapping between the two)?

Do you know the power triangle
http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/02218.png

Last edited:
Likes Luchekv
Thats perfect, thank you! and yes I'm good with converting between the two :)

Just a note, if you draw a power triangle. You'll notice that the 'real' Power is real (Re) and reactive power (Q) is Imaginary (Im), whereas apparent power (S) is a vector of both.

Considering that resistors only have the real component and no imaginary part, this is why you can apply the DC power equation to the AC circuit for this resistor.

Likes Luchekv

Related to Transformer open/short circuit test

1. What is the purpose of a transformer open/short circuit test?

The purpose of a transformer open/short circuit test is to determine the performance and condition of the transformer's windings and core. This test helps to identify any potential issues with the transformer, such as short circuits or open circuits, which can affect its efficiency and reliability.

2. How is a transformer open/short circuit test performed?

The test is typically performed by disconnecting the transformer from its power source and connecting a low voltage AC source to the primary winding. The secondary winding is left open and measurements are taken to determine the transformer's impedance and other parameters. The test is then repeated with the secondary winding shorted.

3. What are the benefits of performing a transformer open/short circuit test?

Performing this test can help to identify potential issues with the transformer before they become major problems. It can also help to ensure that the transformer is operating at its optimal efficiency, which can save on energy costs. Additionally, the test can help to extend the lifespan of the transformer by detecting any issues early on.

4. Are there any risks associated with performing a transformer open/short circuit test?

Yes, there are some risks involved with this test. If not performed properly, it can cause damage to the transformer or pose a safety hazard to the person conducting the test. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and have a trained professional perform the test.

5. How often should a transformer open/short circuit test be performed?

The frequency of this test will depend on the type and size of the transformer, as well as its operating conditions. In general, it is recommended to perform this test during routine maintenance checks or whenever there are concerns about the performance of the transformer. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and local regulations for testing frequency.