Transformer generator question

In summary, when a magnet with a changing field is present, you will get an induced current out of the connection points of the disc.
Salvador
Say I have a soft iron piece which somehow has a changing flux in it (for simplicity take 50hz) for the question doesn't matter how the flux got there.
Now I have a coil and I now take the iron piece and move it back and forth through the coil 50 times a second to be the same rate as my flux.

Will the current in the coil be as strong as the flux in the core + the energy I added moving it back and forth through the coil or just the flux strength?

Engineering news on Phys.org
They will sum together vectorially. In order for a current to be induced the wire needs to cut the flux lines. In a transformer this is accomplished by the flux moving and the wire being stationary. So, if your coil moves in such a way so that it is always moving with the flux no current will be induced in the coil. Have a look at how induction motors work. It is closely related to what you are questioning here.

Likes berkeman
Right, if the induction motor's rotor and it's field spins slower than the field in the stator moves then it has torque (motor mode) , if it spins faster than the stator field then it produces torque on stator (generator mode) but if the rotor and stator fields align as would be when the speeds align then there is no torque on the rotor , correct?

After you pointed out I saw my flaw , I can't push the very object through which the flux is originating in symmetry with the flux itself and get induction , I could push it in opposite direction while flux goes one way the core can be made to go the other way.

Well maybe I can then combine induction with lorentz drag to double the current? I'm not sure this is correct but here is the question.
To make the describtion simple , I will use a simple model.
A faraday disc , but cut in pieces like a pizza each piece has a small gap to the next one, the ends at the center and outer rim are connected together in parallel.
A magnet , not a round one but a flat bar rotates around this disc , for this question assume that the side facing the disc has a single pole , now this rotating magnet has a changing field of say 50hz , would I then get those 50hz induced ac current out the connection points of my disc +the input rotational torque supplied to the rotating magnet due to the lorentz drag its field exerted on the conductor?

This is assuming the magnets field is at the right angle to the conductor , as would normally be in a faraday disc , only the classical situation has the disc spinning and the field static to get lorentz drag.

A faraday disk works in some strange ways. As I understand it, the brush at the outside is where it is at so to speak. You can rotate the magnet with the disk and as long as the brush is stationary you will get a current. I have only read about this. Never tried it.

as much as I know is that if you spin a static magnetic field and keep the disc stationary -nothing happens.
if you spin the disc itself no matter whether the static field source spins or not -current is generated, but as long as the brushes keep spinning at different speed or are stationary with respect to the disc.

the thing that I don't know is what happens when you have the disc stationary and instead of brushes just connect it to a load and then rotate a changing magnetic field but in such a way that at every instant only alike poles face the disc so that you won't get opposite currents that cancel out.
The thing I wonder is whether that would only produce induction as with every other chaging b field or would that also create the same lorentz drag that happens in oridnary faraday discs.

Related to Transformer generator question

1. What is a transformer generator?

A transformer generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a transformer and a rotating coil or rotor. The transformer helps to step up or step down the voltage of the electrical energy produced by the rotor, making it suitable for different applications.

2. How does a transformer generator work?

A transformer generator works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. The rotating coil or rotor of the generator creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the stationary windings of the transformer. This current is then converted into usable electrical energy.

3. What are the main components of a transformer generator?

The main components of a transformer generator include the rotor, stator, transformer, and control system. The rotor is the rotating coil that creates the magnetic field, while the stator is the stationary windings that generate electricity. The transformer steps up or down the voltage, and the control system manages the generator's output.

4. What are the different types of transformer generators?

There are two main types of transformer generators: AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) generators. AC generators are more commonly used and can produce higher voltages, while DC generators are typically used in smaller applications.

5. What are the uses of transformer generators?

Transformer generators are used in a wide variety of applications, such as power plants, renewable energy systems, industrial machinery, and backup power sources. They are also commonly used in household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, as well as in electronic devices.