Transformer Equivalent Circuit

In summary, the open-circuit and short-circuit tests are used to determine the equivalent circuit parameters of a transformer. The open-circuit test determines the parallel parameters (R and X) for core loss, while the short-circuit test determines the series parameters (R and X) for winding loss and leakage flux. The magnetizing current is responsible for core loss and reactance in the open-circuit case, while in the short-circuit case, the winding resistance and leakage inductance should be taken into account for accurate modeling.
breakshift

Homework Statement

Hi. Why does one conduct an open-circuit and a short-circuit test on a transformer to determine its equivalent circuit parameters? I've read that a) the open-circuit test determines the parallel parameters - the R and X equating to the core loss, and b) the short-circuit test determines the series parameters - the R and X equating to the winding loss and leakage flux. 'Figure 1' on this website is the diagram I'm talking about;

http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~johnsodw/egr325mine/paper2/paper2.html

I've done this experiment in the lab, and have all the relevant raw data. I'm just looking for some understanding in why certain parameters can be ignored in the open-circuit case and must be considered in the shoty-circuit case, and vice versa.

Homework Equations

Open circuit:
Rm = V1^2/Pin
Xm = V1/Ir

Short circuit:
Req = Pin/I^2
Xeq = sqrt(((V2/I)^2)-Req^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it, with an open circuit causing the secondary current to be zero, so should the primary current be zero. But there is a current and this is therefore the magnetising current which flows irrespective of load and is responsible for core loss and reactance. So from this you can work out Rm and Xm.

Under short circuit, the voltage across the secondary windings should be zero, but its not. So by applying a current, a voltage is dropped across the windings and this is used to measure its resistance. Also, some of the applied current to the primary winding is wasted in leakage flux (so its power will not be transfered) - and by measuring the secondary current you can find the difference between it and the current you would expect from an ideal transformer, and this difference is then the current causing the leakage flux?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have it mostly correct. But in the secondary short circuit case, the output voltage is indeed zero (definition of a short circuit). There will be some voltage drop across the winding resistance, and that winding resistance will be reflected as the load back across to the primary side. Definitely include the winding resistance as well as the leakage inductance in all of your modeling of transformers.

Thanks mate.

Related to Transformer Equivalent Circuit

1. What is a transformer equivalent circuit?

A transformer equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a transformer that consists of electrical components such as resistors, inductors, and capacitors. It is used to analyze the behavior and performance of a transformer in an electrical circuit.

2. Why is a transformer equivalent circuit necessary?

A transformer equivalent circuit is necessary because it allows engineers and scientists to easily analyze and understand the behavior of a transformer without having to consider its complex physical structure and design. It also helps in predicting the performance of a transformer in different electrical circuits.

3. How is a transformer equivalent circuit determined?

A transformer equivalent circuit is determined by performing a series of measurements and calculations using the physical parameters of the transformer such as its winding resistance, leakage inductance, and magnetizing inductance. These parameters are then used to create an equivalent circuit that accurately represents the behavior of the transformer.

4. What are the components of a transformer equivalent circuit?

The components of a transformer equivalent circuit include resistors, inductors, and capacitors. The resistors represent the winding resistance of the transformer, the inductors represent the leakage inductance and magnetizing inductance, and the capacitors represent the stray capacitance between the windings of the transformer.

5. How is a transformer equivalent circuit used in practical applications?

A transformer equivalent circuit is used in practical applications to analyze the performance of a transformer in different electrical circuits. It is also used in the design of new transformers, as it helps in predicting the behavior of a transformer and making necessary modifications to improve its performance.