Transformer Dilemma: Solve the Mystery

• Thread starter dolle39
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, when connecting an AC source to a step-up transformer with a higher number of turns in the secondary winding compared to the primary winding, the voltage in the secondary winding will increase and the current will decrease. This is due to the impedance of the secondary inductor, which increases with more turns and generates more counter EMF. This results in a decrease in power at the secondary load, but the same power is still supplied by the source. This is due to the turns ratio, which affects the voltage, current, and resistance in the transformer.
dolle39
Hi,

I have a dilemma about transformers that I want to discuss. Say that I have connected an AC source to a step-up transformer with Np turns in the primary winding and Ns in the secondary winding. Say that the secondary winding is connected to a resistance R.

We know that the voltage in the secondary winding will be (Vp * Ns/Np) and if Ns>Np the voltage will increase. But as I understand this voltage increase must come at a cost of a decrease of current in the secondary winding in order to have P = I*V be the same on both sides of the transformer.

But we also know that I = V/R and thus if the voltage did increase in the secondary winding and the current did decrease, this must mean that the resistance increased in the secondary winding. But where does this resistance come from? Is it some sort of imaginary resistance?
I mean in my world an increase in voltage should mean an increase in current.

I think that I am making some fundamental mistake so please help me sort it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the impedance of the secondary inductor is where the resistance comes from. More turns = more inductance = more impedance since you have more self induction generating more counter EMF in your secondary.

These are ratios (secondary to primary).

Voltage on secondary increases relative to primary.
Current on secondary decreases relative to primary.
Resistance on secondary increases (as you said) relative to primary.

Example: 2:1 stepup ratio, 1Vac input, 1ohm secondary load.

Voltage at secondary = 2Vac (per turns ratio)
Current at secondary = 2amps (ohms law)

Load seen by source = 0.25 ohms (turns ratio squared)
current at source = 4 amps (ohms law)

Power at source = 4 watts
Power at load = 4 watts.

Note:
Voltage has gone up from 1V to 2V.
Current has gone down from 4A to 2A.
Resistance has gone up from 0.25 ohms to 1 ohm

Related to Transformer Dilemma: Solve the Mystery

1. What is the "Transformer Dilemma: Solve the Mystery"?

The "Transformer Dilemma: Solve the Mystery" is a scientific puzzle that involves understanding the complex interactions between transformers, their environment, and the electrical grid.

2. What are transformers and why are they important?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to transfer energy from one circuit to another. They are crucial for distributing electricity across long distances and are essential components of the electrical grid.

3. What is the mystery surrounding the Transformer Dilemma?

The mystery of the Transformer Dilemma lies in the fact that transformers have been known to fail unexpectedly, causing major disruptions to the electrical grid. This has led scientists to question why and how these failures occur.

4. What research has been done to solve the Transformer Dilemma?

Scientists have conducted extensive research on transformers, their components, and their interactions with the environment. They have also used advanced technologies, such as computer simulations, to better understand the behavior of transformers and identify potential causes of failure.

5. How can solving the Transformer Dilemma benefit society?

Solving the Transformer Dilemma can have a significant impact on society as it can help prevent unexpected power outages and improve the reliability of the electrical grid. This, in turn, can save time, money, and resources for both individuals and businesses.