Transformation relations tensors

In summary, the 2d stress transformation relations are derived using the transformation equation and the 2d directional cosines matrix. The transformation equation is used to find the transformed stress components, while the directional cosines matrix is used to rotate the stress components. The matrix \sigma_{pq} represents the original stress components.
roldy
I'm trying to understand the transformation relations for 2d stress and the book doesn't show the derivation of the 2d stress transformation relations from the directional cosines. The 2d stress transformation relations are found by using the transformation equation and the 2d directional cosines matrix. I'm really confused as to how they go about performing the math.

2d stress transformation relations:

[itex]\sigma_{xx}^{'}= \sigma_{xx} \cos^2 \theta + \sigma_{yy} \sin^2 \theta + 2\sigma_{xy} \cos \theta \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_{yy}^{'}= \sigma_{xx} \sin^2 \theta + \sigma_{yy} \cos^2 \theta - 2\sigma_{xy} \cos \theta \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_{xy}^{'}= \sigma_{xx}(\cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta) + (\sigma_{yy} - \sigma_{xx}) \sin \theta \cos \theta[/itex]

transformation equation:

[itex]\sigma_{ij}^{'} = m_{ip} m_{jp} \sigma_{pq}[/itex]

2d directional cosine matrix:

[itex]m_{ij} = \left[\stackrel{\cos \theta}{ -\sin \theta}\ \stackrel{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} \right][/itex]

I guess the thing that I'm confused about is [itex]\sigma_{pq}[/itex]. What does that matrix look like?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
roldy said:
I'm trying to understand the transformation relations for 2d stress and the book doesn't show the derivation of the 2d stress transformation relations from the directional cosines. The 2d stress transformation relations are found by using the transformation equation and the 2d directional cosines matrix. I'm really confused as to how they go about performing the math.

2d stress transformation relations:

[itex]\sigma_{xx}^{'}= \sigma_{xx} \cos^2 \theta + \sigma_{yy} \sin^2 \theta + 2\sigma_{xy} \cos \theta \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_{yy}^{'}= \sigma_{xx} \sin^2 \theta + \sigma_{yy} \cos^2 \theta - 2\sigma_{xy} \cos \theta \sin \theta[/itex]

[itex]\sigma_{xy}^{'}= \sigma_{xx}(\cos^2 \theta - sin^2 \theta) + (\sigma_{yy} - \sigma_{xx}) \sin \theta \cos \theta[/itex]

transformation equation:

2d directional cosine matrix:

[itex]m_{ij} = \left[\stackrel{\cos \theta}{ -\sin \theta}\ \stackrel{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} \right][/itex]

I guess the thing that I'm confused about is [itex]\sigma_{pq}[/itex]. What does that matrix look like?

I suspect σpq is simply the original matrix elements.
σ11 = σxx etc.

should be
[itex]\sigma_{ij}^{'} = m_{ip} m_{jq} \sigma_{pq}[/itex]

Likes 1 person

Related to Transformation relations tensors

1. What are transformation relation tensors?

Transformation relation tensors are mathematical tools that describe how physical quantities change when measured from different reference frames. They are used in the study of relativity and fluid mechanics.

2. How do transformation relation tensors work?

Transformation relation tensors use a set of mathematical equations to describe how physical quantities, such as position, velocity, and momentum, change when viewed from different reference frames. They take into account the effects of relative motion and changing coordinate systems.

3. What is the importance of transformation relation tensors in physics?

Transformation relation tensors are crucial in understanding the theory of relativity and the behavior of fluids. They allow scientists to accurately describe how physical quantities change when viewed from different perspectives, and they form the basis for many mathematical models in these fields.

4. How are transformation relation tensors used in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, transformation relation tensors are used to describe the change in velocity, pressure, and other physical quantities as a fluid flows through different reference frames. They are essential in understanding the behavior of fluids in different environments, such as in moving vehicles or rotating systems.

5. Can transformation relation tensors be applied to other fields besides physics?

While transformation relation tensors are primarily used in physics, they can also be applied to other fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. They provide a useful framework for understanding how objects and systems behave when viewed from different perspectives, and their applications continue to expand across various disciplines.