Transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coords

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting the cartesian metric in 2D to the polar metric using transformation equations between polar and cartesian coordinates. The partial derivatives of the transformation equations are used to obtain the metric in polar coordinates. However, when trying to convert back to cartesian using the polar metric, the expected result of [1 0;0 1] is not obtained. After further examination, it is discovered that the issue lies in using r and (x^2+y^2)^.5 interchangeably. The conversation ends with a note on how to type equations directly into a post using LaTeX format.
mokrunka
I'm working on a problem that requires me to take the cartesian metric in 2D [1 0;0 1] and convert (using the transformation equations b/w polar and cartesian coords) it to the polar metric. I have done this without issue using the partial derivatives of the transformation equations and have come up with the metric in polar coordinates [1 0;0 r^2].

Just for grins, I decided to use the partial derivatives and convert back to cartesian using the polar metric, expecting to come up with the exact same thing I started with, namely [1 0;0 1]. Unfortunately, that is not what happened. Shouldn't this work? Can anyone help me in where my thought process is wrong here?

Note, this is not a HW question; I am a degreed engineer teaching myself relativity from a workbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
mokrunka said:
Shouldn't this work? Can anyone help me in where my thought process is wrong here?

It should work, yes, but you will need to post more details before we can give any feedback on where you might have gone wrong.

For example, in the attached word file, I've given the equation to convert the metric from primed (r, theta) to unprimed (x, y) coordinates. I have also listed the partial derivatives I've used.

In this file, you can see gxx will not (unless my math is failing me) give 1, which would be the gxx component of the cartesian metric in 2D.

Attachments

• g??.docx
    18.3 KB · Views: 404
mokrunka said:
In this file, you can see gxx will not (unless my math is failing me) give 1

Yes, it does. You have:

$$
g_{xx} = \left( \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} \right)^2 g_{rr} + \left( \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} \right)^2 g_{\theta \theta}
$$

We have (rewriting your equations slightly to make the math easier to see) ##\partial r / \partial x = x / r## and ##\partial \theta / \partial x = - y / r^2##, and the metric coefficients are ##g_{rr} = 1## and ##g_{\theta \theta} = r^2## (the latter may be where you went wrong in your math). Plugging everything in gives

$$
g_{xx} = \frac{x^2}{r^2} + \frac{y^2}{r^4} r^2 = \frac{x^2 + y^2}{r^2} = 1
$$

Likes 1 person
Ahhh, I failed to see that I could use r and (x^2+y^2)^.5 interchangeably. Thank you very much for this clarification!

As a side note, how are you able to type the equations directly into the post?

Edit: nevermind, I've just discovered Latex.

Related to Transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coords

1. What is the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates?

The transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates is a mathematical process used to convert a tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the properties of space and time, from a polar coordinate system to a cartesian coordinate system. This transformation is important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and engineering.

2. Why is the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates necessary?

The transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates is necessary because different coordinate systems can describe the same physical space in different ways. In order to use the tensor to make accurate calculations and predictions, it must be expressed in the same coordinate system as the other variables in the equation. Therefore, transforming the tensor allows us to use it in equations that are based in cartesian coordinates.

3. How is the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates performed?

The transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates involves using a set of mathematical equations, known as the Jacobian matrix, to convert the components of the tensor from one coordinate system to another. This process takes into account the differences in the coordinate systems, such as the different unit vectors and scale factors.

4. What are the applications of the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates?

The transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity to make calculations and predictions in different coordinate systems. It is also important in computer graphics and computer vision, where objects and images are represented in cartesian coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when performing the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates?

Yes, there are some limitations and considerations to keep in mind when performing the transformation of the metric tensor from polar to cartesian coordinates. One consideration is that the transformation is only valid for smooth coordinate systems, meaning that the coordinate system must not have any abrupt changes or discontinuities. Additionally, the transformation may become more complicated in higher dimensions and may require the use of more advanced mathematical techniques.