Transformation of solid angle

In summary: Thank you for clarifying."In summary, The solid angle element in a spherical coordinate system is given by dΩ= sinθ dθ dφ. The angle φ represents a rotation in the plane perpendicular to the motion and remains unchanged under a Lorentz transformation. However, when considering an arbitrary direction, the assumption about the relative motion may not hold true. To transform curvilinear coordinates between inertial frames moving uniformly with respect to each other, one can use the abberation formula and define the angle θ as the angle between the direction of the transform and the differential solid angle. The solid angle element is not Lorent
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out how the element of solid angle transforms under a transformation between two inertial frames moving with velocity v w.r.t. each other under an arbitrary direction. But I should say I disappointed myself! Anyway, some books which contain a brief discussion on this(which doesn't include an actual derivation!), simply state that ## d\varphi'=d\varphi ##, but this is not at all trivial to me! What should I do?
In my desperate actions toward the above goal, I managed to get myself confused about something else too! How curvilinear coordinates transform under Lorentz transformation?
I'll appreciate any suggestion about the above problems.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does psi represent an angle element? Or does it represent the measure of the whole angle?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Does psi represent an angle element? Or does it represent the measure of the whole angle?
If you mean ## \varphi ##, then its the last coordinate in the spherical coordinate system(## (r,\theta,\varphi) ##).
Then the solid angle element becomes ## d \Omega=\sin \theta d\varphi d\theta ##.

The angle ##\varphi## represents a rotation in the plane perpendicular to the motion, thus it is given by the ##y## and ##z## coordinates (in standard configuration) which do not change. Therefore ##\varphi = \varphi'## and also ##d\varphi = d\varphi'##.

Orodruin said:
The angle ##\varphi## represents a rotation in the plane perpendicular to the motion, thus it is given by the ##y## and ##z## coordinates (in standard configuration) which do not change. Therefore ##\varphi = \varphi'## and also ##d\varphi = d\varphi'##.
But this is an assumption about the relative motion. It doesn't work if we consider an arbitrary direction!

You can always chose your coordinates in such a way that this is the case (as long as you satisfy yourself with rotation free Lorentz transformations). Just define ##\theta## as the angle between the direction of the transform and the differential solid angle.

Orodruin said:
You can always chose your coordinates in such a way that this is the case (as long as you satisfy yourself with rotation free Lorentz transformations). Just define ##\theta## as the angle between the direction of the transform and the differential solid angle.
Thanks.
So what about the other question? How can we transform curvilinear coordinates between inertial frames moving uniformly w.r.t. each other?

Shyan said:
Thanks.
So what about the other question? How can we transform curvilinear coordinates between inertial frames moving uniformly w.r.t. each other?

Usually when you deal with this kind of problems, only one event is of real importance (i.e., the decay or interaction). The ##\varphi## angle is unchanged and you can typically compute the ##\theta## transformation using the abberation formula.

"The angle φ represents a rotation in the plane perpendicular to the motion, thus it is given by the y and z coordinates (in standard configuration) which do not change. Therefore φ=φ′ and also dφ=dφ′."

This is true for transformation properties of the longitude, φ, which NOT a solid angle. The solid angle, usually denoted by Ω actually does involve directions parallel to the direction of relative velocity. In arbitrary dimensions, say n-space (plus time), the solid angle is defined in terms of cartesian components by the differential form,

dΩ= ∑i=1,n [(-1)(i-1) xi dx1 ∧...dxi-1 ∧ dxi+1...dxn] /rn.

You can check for test cases for n=2 and 3 that this general (n-1)-form expression indeed reduces to familiar planar polar angle element, dθ and solid angle element, dΩ= sinθ dθ ∧ dφ respectively. When cast In this cartersian form, the solid angle element does not appear to me to be Lorentz invariant due to "dt ∧ dz or dt∧dy" terms. I checked explicitly by plugging Lorentz transformation for n=2 case.

If you really want to play with explicit transform between spherical coords in one inertial frame to same in another, you can get them (in ugly form) by a straightforward process. Starting from the Lorentz transform between Cartesian coordinates. Then, substitute standard expressions of r',θ',φ' for for x',y',z' on the left; and the same for r,θ,φ for x,y,z on the right. Then simplify per φ'=φ. With just trivial rearrangement you end up with (for example, depends on conventions chosen):

φ' = φ
tanθ' = rsinθ/ (γ(rcosθ-vt))
r'sinθ' = rsinθ
t' = γ (t- vrcosθ)

I am sure someone, somewhere, has derived a much more clever way of writing these. This is just a quick scribble to show the ideas. Never, in my life, have I had occasion to use such an explicit set of relations, so I had no idea what they might look like before writing these down.

Its clear now, thanks guys!

Roy_1981 said:
This is true for transformation properties of the longitude, φ, which NOT a solid angle.
I never claimed anything else ...

"I never claimed anything else ... "

In that case, my apologies...

Related to Transformation of solid angle

What is the definition of solid angle?

Solid angle is a measure of the amount of space covered by a three-dimensional object when viewed from a particular point. It is commonly expressed in steradians (sr).

How is solid angle different from regular angle?

Solid angle is a three-dimensional measure, whereas regular angle is a two-dimensional measure. Solid angle takes into account the entire surface area of an object, while regular angle only considers the rotation around a single axis.

What is the formula for calculating solid angle?

The formula for calculating solid angle is Ω = A/r^2, where Ω is the solid angle in steradians, A is the area of the object projected onto a sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

Why is solid angle important in physics and mathematics?

Solid angle is important in physics and mathematics because it allows for the calculation of flux and energy transfer in three-dimensional systems. It is also used in the study of celestial objects and their apparent size and brightness.

Can solid angle be negative?

No, solid angle cannot be negative. It is a measure of space and therefore cannot have a negative value. However, it can have a value of zero if the object being measured has no surface area.