East Coast braces for bug onslaught

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, the cicadas emerge every 17 years and make a loud noise. They are distinguished by their red eyes and beady drums.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4638582/?GT1=3391
Planning a May wedding in the eastern United States? Take the party indoors to avoid billions of buzzing cicadas set to swarm the area after 17 years of living below ground.

Called periodical cicadas, the thumb-sized insects emerge every 17 years and fly around in a noisy, mating frenzy before dying weeks later, littering the area with crunchy shells.

Mistakenly called locusts by early settlers, they are distinguished by their beady red eyes. What is most memorable is the deafening noise the males make with drumlike organs called timbals to attract more sedate females.
:surprise: THAT was the thing that scared the life out of me last year, a cicadas and not a cricket :eek: It really sounded like someone was breaking open the concrete.. what a noise.. :uhh:

Really weird they have a 17 yr cycle though.

Biology news on Phys.org
As adults, males produce a loud species-specific mate-attracting song using specialized sound-producing organs called tymbals. These sounds are among the loudest produced by any insects.
gosh, who knew..

I've learned more about those bugs in the last month than I ever needed to know in my lifetime...that's all they've been putting on the news here it seems! The first billion of 5 billion expected have shown up where I live. Other than the thousands of shells left behind from their molting over the past few days (they just came up, and molted their juvenile shells over the past two days...most of it happened yesterday in my yard...one decided to do this on one of my screens, and being the ultimate geek, I sat fascinated for quite some time just watching it emerge from its shell). Then they spent most of yesterday just sitting around, getting their wings stretched out, or whatever it was they were doing, and after being a little dampened by the torrential rains and thunderstorm last night, seem to have gotten themselves into the mood for mating today, so are out there chirping away. I can still identify individual chirps, so it's not so bad yet. I remember last time they were out, it was just a steady drone for half the summer. For a bug, they're kind of cute. There's a rumor going around that there's a reward for finding a blue-eyed cicada (it's just a rumor), so that seems to be keeping all the kids busy looking for one with blue eyes. The birds are also quite happy right now...they've got a real feast out there!

The thing I thought was really cool is that last year, I didn't know the mating season for cicadas was approaching, but I was able to predict some sort of massive bug infestation...all the trees were incredibly prolific in producing seeds and seedlings! Entymologists think it could be the trees that tell the cicadas when it's the right year to emerge since they feed off their roots. Otherwise, maybe we should ask the physicists or astronomers or geologists if there is any other 17-year cycle of events that cicadas could be using as a timing cue.

1. What type of bugs are expected during the East Coast bug onslaught?

The East Coast braces for a variety of bugs, including mosquitoes, ticks, and flies.

2. When will the bug onslaught occur on the East Coast?

The bug onslaught is expected to occur during the spring and summer months, when temperatures are warmer and bugs are most active.

3. How can I protect myself from the bug onslaught on the East Coast?

There are several ways to protect yourself from bugs during the onslaught. These include using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants, and avoiding areas with high bug populations.

4. Are there any specific precautions I should take during the East Coast bug onslaught?

Yes, it is important to check yourself and your pets for ticks after spending time outdoors, as they can carry diseases. It is also recommended to keep screens on windows and doors to prevent bugs from entering your home.

5. Will the bug onslaught have any impact on the environment?

While bugs are an important part of the ecosystem, the large numbers expected during the East Coast bug onslaught may have some impact on the environment. For example, an increase in mosquito populations could lead to more transmission of diseases, and a decrease in pollinators such as bees could impact plant and crop growth.

Back