Transformation of KE of Gummy Bear in Inelastic Collision

In summary, there is a gummy bear stuck to the ceiling at the speaker's workplace. When it hit the ceiling, some of its kinetic energy was transformed into thermal energy and sound. The speaker wonders if some energy is also stored as potential energy in the gummy bear's deformation. The other participant mentions that potential energy in bonds formed with the roof could account for most of the energy loss, similar to how a stretched spring has energy. The speaker is impressed with this insight and links it to a documentary they watched about energy accumulation in a different situation. They also mention how learning about physics helps keep them sane.
seekingtuva
There is a gummy bear stuck to the ceiling where I work. When it hit the ceiling, some of its kinetic energy would be transformed into thermal energy and some into sound. I'm wondering if some is also stored as potential energy in deforming the gummy bear slightly. Also, are there any other energy transformations that account for its final KE being zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
New potential energies in bonds formed with the roof are what would account for most of the loss I'd say.
There is potential energy in the deformation of the gummy bear, just like there's energy when you stretch a spring (or loss if you unstretch it), if you don't have a physics background, I applaud you for thinking about that one since most people who haven't taken a physics course (and even a lot who have) wouldn't think of that.

Cool! Thanks! I knew there were things I wasn't thinking of ... the reason I thought of potential energy due to deformation was because of a documentary I watched on the Windscale reactor fire, specifically the part where Wigner energy accumulated in the graphite. Very different materials and situation, I know, but it got me to thinking about how energy involved in a collision might cause deformations in a material that would not occur spontaneously without that energy input.

I never took physics past high school, but I'm glad I started learning it. It helps keep me sane.

Related to Transformation of KE of Gummy Bear in Inelastic Collision

1. How does the transformation of kinetic energy occur during an inelastic collision involving a gummy bear?

During an inelastic collision, the gummy bear will come into contact with another object, causing a transfer of energy. This transfer can result in a change in the shape or structure of the gummy bear, causing a transformation of kinetic energy.

2. What factors affect the transformation of kinetic energy in an inelastic collision involving a gummy bear?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision are the main factors that affect the transformation of kinetic energy. The larger the mass and velocity of the objects, the greater the transformation of kinetic energy will be.

3. Is the transformation of kinetic energy always the same in an inelastic collision involving a gummy bear?

No, the transformation of kinetic energy can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision. Factors such as the materials involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and any external forces can all affect the amount of energy transformed.

4. Can the transformation of kinetic energy in an inelastic collision involving a gummy bear be calculated?

Yes, the transformation of kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation: ΔKE = KEfinal - KEinitial. This equation takes into account the change in kinetic energy before and after the collision, allowing for the calculation of the transformation.

5. How does the transformation of kinetic energy in an inelastic collision involving a gummy bear demonstrate the principle of conservation of energy?

The transformation of kinetic energy in an inelastic collision shows the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In an inelastic collision, the total amount of energy before and after the collision remains the same, but the energy is transformed into different forms, such as sound, heat, or a change in the structure of the gummy bear.