Transformation of Gravitational to Kinetic Energy

In summary, the question discusses a scenario where two particles of equal mass are gravitationally attracted to each other and the change in kinetic energy is 1J. The final velocity of the particles is found using two different approaches, with one approach being correct and the other having a flaw in its logic. The difference lies in considering the mass of the system versus the mass of the individual particles.
012anonymousx
I am not following the template for the reason that this is a generic question.

Consider that the change in kinetic energy is 1J.
Suppose further you have two particles, both of equal mass that are gravitationally attracted to each other (and the change in energy comes from the fact that they moved closer to each other -- these are planetary objects).

What is their final velocity? Assume they start from rest.

First thing to notice: their velocities will be exactly the same throughout. so (vf)^2 = (-vf)^2 = vf

So two approaches:

dk = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

Rearrange for v and divide by two because the velocity "splits" into two for both the masses.
You will find a factor of root 2 over 2.

Approach two:

dk = (1/2)(m)(v^2) + (1/2)(m)(v^2) = m v^2.
Rearrange for v. Here we have no need for dividing by two, we straight up get the v. This v has no factor infront of it. It is just root of (dk/m).

So two contradicting pieces. The first approach is in fact correct. I have confirmed it.
Can someone point out the flaw in the logic of the other piece?

[EDIT]
Okay I found one mistake in my reasoning:
The change in energy is for the system. I should mention that.
So the way I got it was 2 *(Gm^2/r), r is the distance between their centres. Multiply by two for both.

So the change in kinetic energy of the SYSTEM is actually: (1/2)(2m)(2*vf)^2.

Wait... no okay, I got it! vf of the system has to remain the same. Makes no sense if it changed by conservation of energy.

Thanks for letting me write. I was stuck on this problem for a while!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming both masses are the same, then they will both experience the same change in velocity.

The important thing to note with method 1 is that the mass (denoted as 'm') is the mass of the system, whereas in method 2, the masses (also denoted 'm') are the masses of the 2 individual "particles". 'm' from method 1 = 2x 'm' from method 2.

Related to Transformation of Gravitational to Kinetic Energy

1. How is gravitational energy transformed into kinetic energy?

Gravitational energy is transformed into kinetic energy when an object with a certain mass is lifted to a certain height, acquiring potential energy due to the gravitational force. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy when the object is released and falls towards the ground, increasing its velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating the transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy is: KE = mgh, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height from which the object was dropped.

3. What factors affect the transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy?

The transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height from which the object is dropped. Other factors such as air resistance, surface area, and shape of the object can also have an impact.

4. Can gravitational energy be transformed into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational energy can be transformed into other forms of energy such as thermal energy, sound energy, and electromagnetic energy. For example, when an object falls and hits the ground, some of its kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy due to friction.

5. How is the transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy important in our daily lives?

The transformation of gravitational to kinetic energy is important in many aspects of our daily lives. It is essential for activities such as walking, running, and jumping. It is also crucial for transportation systems such as cars, trains, and airplanes. Additionally, this transformation is the basis for generating electricity through hydropower plants.