Transformation equation of velocity contradicts stellar aberration?

In summary: Thanks for the help. I'm having a hard time visualizing the transform. No problem. It can be a bit tricky to visualize at first, but eventually it will click. Just remember that the transformation equations for velocity involve the addition of velocities, just like the Galilean transformation, but with the added factor of gamma to account for the effects of relativity.
Happiness
Let S be the frame where the Sun is at rest. Imagine light from the North Star reaches the centre of the Sun, and let's define the equatorial plane as the plane that is perpendicular to this light and cuts the Sun into two hemisphere.

Suppose a distant star A is on this equatorial plane and its light also reaches the centre of the Sun. Let the direction of the propagation of this light be our x axis. And let our y-axis be pointing in the direction of the North Star.

In other words, the light from star A is traveling in the positive x direction, while that from the North Star is traveling in the negative y direction.

Let S' be the frame that is moving with respect to S in the positive x direction at velocity v.

By the transformation equation of velocity,

##u_x^\prime=\frac{u_x-v}{1-u_xv/c^2}## , ##u_y^\prime=\frac{u_y\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}{1-u_xv/c^2}## , ##u_z^\prime=\frac{u_z\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}{1-u_xv/c^2}##

the light from the North Star and that from star A are still traveling in the negative y direction (or y', to be precise) and in the positive x direction (or x'), respectively, to an observer in S'.

This contradicts the observation of stellar aberration, where the two velocities are not perpendicular in S'.

What did I miss?

Are two perpendicular vectors still perpendicular when we change reference frames?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conceptually, I would think that they would not be perpendicular in S'. The light from the north star should gain a x component due to the observers velocity in the x direction. I'm also not sure what you're doing with the transformation equations. What is u the velocity of?

u and u' are the velocities in S and S', respectively.

##u_{North\ Star}##, velocity of light from the North Star in frame S = ##\begin{pmatrix}u_x\\u_y\\u_z\end{pmatrix}## = ##\begin{pmatrix}0\\-c\\0\end{pmatrix}##

Ok, so transform ##u_{North Star}## to ##u_{North Star}'## and you'll see that in one frame, u', you have an x component from the orthogonality of the two velocities.

No, it does not. Have you learned special relativity before?

-.-
##\left ( \begin{array}{c}
0 \\
-c \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right ) ##
##
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
v \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right ) ##
##u'=\frac{u-v}{ 1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}
=\frac{
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
0 \\
-c \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right ) -
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
v \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right )}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}
##
What you are trying to do is set up the transforms for when the velocity of the north star is along the x-axis (parallel to the velocity).

Also, no, I haven't learned SR. I have, however, studied it. Once I learn it, I will quit studying it.

Oh yes, you are right! Now, I see the mistake. Thanks!

Think about it like this. If these 2 rays of light are going to meet at the center of the sun, then in their respective frames (S' and S'', where S'' has a velocity along the y-axis parallel to the velocity of the north star light coming towards the sun ), there must be a non orthogonal velocity component between the 2 frames in BOTH frames (S' and S'')

No problem, but do me a favor, and don't attack people that are trying to help you like that.

Yes, don't take it to heart.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
[tex]u'=\frac{u-v}{ 1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}
=\frac{
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
0 \\
-c \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right ) -
\left ( \begin{array}{c}
v \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array} \right )}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]
That's not correct for non-parallel velocities. See velocity-addition formula.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Ahh, true, I missed a 1/gamma on my v. Regardless, the point is that the velocities have non orthogonal components after you transform out of the S frame to S' or S''.

Related to Transformation equation of velocity contradicts stellar aberration?

1. What is the transformation equation of velocity?

The transformation equation of velocity is a mathematical expression that relates the velocity of an object as measured by two different observers in relative motion. This equation takes into account the effects of the observer's motion on the apparent velocity of the object.

2. How does the transformation equation of velocity contradict stellar aberration?

The transformation equation of velocity contradicts stellar aberration because it predicts that the apparent velocity of a star should change as the observer's velocity changes, which is not observed in the case of stellar aberration. Stellar aberration is a phenomenon where the apparent position of a star appears to shift due to the Earth's motion around the sun.

3. What is stellar aberration?

Stellar aberration is a phenomenon where the apparent position of a star appears to shift due to the Earth's motion around the sun. This effect is caused by the finite speed of light and the observer's motion relative to the star. It was first observed by astronomer James Bradley in the 18th century.

4. How does the transformation equation of velocity account for the effects of relativity?

The transformation equation of velocity takes into account the effects of relativity by incorporating the principles of time dilation and length contraction. These concepts are necessary to accurately measure the velocity of an object from different reference frames.

5. Can the transformation equation of velocity be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the transformation equation of velocity can be applied to all types of motion, as long as the observer's velocity and the object's velocity are both less than the speed of light. This equation is a fundamental component of the theory of special relativity and is used in many areas of physics, such as astronomy, particle physics, and engineering.