Transferring to College for Physics Degree - 65 Characters

• Schools
  • Thread starter leftyguitarjo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation involved a person discussing their plans to attend a small local college for 2 years due to financial constraints, and then transfer to a larger school to obtain a bachelor's degree in physics. They mention some notable schools for physics, including the University of Maryland, North Carolina, and MIT. Another person gives advice on finding a good state or local university and preparing for applications, particularly for MIT which has a highly competitive transfer acceptance rate. They also suggest taking advantage of opportunities at the current college and thoroughly planning the application process.
leftyguitarjo
I am attending a small local college for 2 years, due to limited financial resources. After two years, if all goes as planned, I will transfer to a larger school to acertain my bachlor's degree in physics.

What are some notable school when it comes to physics? My best bet would be the University of Maryland, bit I would like to go to North Carolina or MIT.

Physics news on Phys.org
leftyguitarjo said:
I am attending a small local college for 2 years, due to limited financial resources. After two years, if all goes as planned, I will transfer to a larger school to acertain my bachlor's degree in physics.

What are some notable school when it comes to physics? My best bet would be the University of Maryland, bit I would like to go to North Carolina or MIT.

Find a good state or local university. I'm on the very same track you are. After this semester, I only have three more courses to take before I transfer, and I'll be a little over halfway finished with a BS in Physics.

leftyguitarjo said:

If you were unable to land an academic scholarship to a four year state school, you are unlikely to get into MIT for undergrad, much less pay for it. You also don't have a very good chance of MIT accepting much transfer credit.

University of Maryland and UNC-Chapel Hill are both fine schools with good Physics departments. Great grades, recommendations, and GRE scores from either would put you in a good position for graduate school in Physics at MIT. Choosing between them probably shoud depend on transfer (of credit already earned) and financial considerations (in-state tuition).

Completing a BS in Physics at Maryland or Chapel Hill with at least a 3.8 GPA, GRE scores above the 80th percentile, and involvement in undergraduate research with good recommendations will probably lead to both acceptance and a research assistantship to some of the best PhD programs in the country: MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, etc. Any GPA above 3.5 gives you an outside chance at the top 10 programs, and gives you a good chance at a lot of the top 50 departments. The GPA range from 3.0-3.5 is really the slippery slope when it comes to grad school admission. You will get in somewhere, but then it comes down to a lot of intangibles.

Michael Courtney

Hey,

leftyguitarjo said:

I would just add to make sure you take advantage of the opportunities your college offers to help broaden your horizons and delve deeper into your major. Additionally, I'd also like to suggest that you prepare well ahead to apply to your schools. Particularly MIT, since their transfer acceptance rate this past year was 6% (17/269), and so is very competitive even more so than freshmen admissions. I would suggest you extensively plan your application and spend a lot of time on polishing the essay.

-PFStudent

Last edited:

Related to Transferring to College for Physics Degree - 65 Characters

What is the process for transferring to college for a physics degree?

The process for transferring to college for a physics degree typically involves researching and selecting potential colleges, meeting with an academic advisor to discuss transfer requirements, completing the application process, and submitting any necessary transcripts or test scores.

What courses should I take before transferring to a college for a physics degree?

It is recommended to take foundational courses in math, physics, and other sciences before transferring to a college for a physics degree. These may include calculus, algebra, geometry, physics, chemistry, and biology.

What are the benefits of transferring to a college for a physics degree?

Transferring to a college for a physics degree can provide access to specialized coursework, research opportunities, and advanced facilities. It can also allow for networking with other students and professionals in the field.

How long does it typically take to complete a physics degree after transferring to a college?

The length of time to complete a physics degree after transferring to a college can vary depending on the number of credits transferred, the student's course load, and any prerequisite courses that may need to be completed. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a physics degree.

What career options are available with a physics degree?

A physics degree can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. It can also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics or related fields.