Transferring out of a community college to pursue a Physics Degree

In summary, In order to improve my grades and possibly transfer to a four-year school, I am considering UVA and VT as my top two options. UVA has a great physics program, but VT is also a good option if I am interested in the engineering field.
opprobe
Hey guys!

Basically I'm at the stage where I'm looking for a four year institution to transfer to. I currently attend a community college named Northern Virginia Community College and so far I have applied to an in state university - the University of Virginia.

As some background information, I originally started as an Engineering major and decided that I was more interested in the Physics so I'm planning to transfer as a Physics major. My grades aren't too hot. I pretty much screwed up my first two semesters here but I made it up with getting straight A's the next three semesters with the exception of one B.

My question is, can you guys help me recommend me some other good colleges to try applying to? I only know of institutions such as MIT, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, etc. and those colleges seem out of reach due to my earlier performance in school. I have no internship experience and just tried to make my mistakes up with good grades.

Also, I have an interest in Nanotechnology but I am unsure whether I want to commit myself to that field. I don't know if that will affect anything for picking undergraduate institutions to transfer to, but I thought that I would just put it out there.

Much thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
virginia tech is a good college in your state

nickadams said:
virginia tech is a good college in your state

Thanks, but I heard that Virginia Tech did not have a very good physics program...but I will probably still apply there as an engineer

UVA has a great physics program, and you'd do fine at Virginia Tech as well.

You can get a fine physics education at many schools. Wash U. in St. Louis puts a particular focus on undergrad education, Emory, Duke and Rice also come to mind. There are dozens of other good options, too. I would definitely visit your school's guidance counselor, since placement is what they're all about. If you are close to either UVA or VT, you could set up appointments with their counseling staffs, too. They can advise you on their programs, and perhaps help you find a good fit elsewhere as well.

Finding a school with a strong nanotechnology program that also fits your needs is fine, but I wouldn't let that be the prime factor in choosing. I'd think of it more as a tiebreaker.

You can get some more school ideas by looking at middle-tier schools in grad school physics department rankings
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

Good luck!

If you want someplace fairly close to home, but not necessarily in-state, U of Maryland (College Park) has a good physics program, from what I hear. (All I know personally is that I went to an American Physical Society conference there many years ago.)

Appreciate all of your responses!

By researching a bit using Marcusl's link and using jtbell's advice, I think College Park is a solid addition to my list of colleges to apply to.

Thanks again!

Related to Transferring out of a community college to pursue a Physics Degree

1. What are the benefits of transferring out of a community college to pursue a Physics degree?

Transferring to a four-year university to pursue a Physics degree can open up a wider range of opportunities, such as access to more advanced courses, research opportunities, and connections with professors and peers in the field. It can also provide a more comprehensive and specialized education in Physics.

2. Will my credits from community college transfer to a four-year university for a Physics degree?

In most cases, yes. However, it is important to carefully research and communicate with advisors at both the community college and the university to ensure that your credits will transfer and count towards your degree requirements. Some universities may have specific requirements or limitations on transfer credits.

3. How long does it typically take to transfer from a community college to a four-year university for a Physics degree?

The exact time frame can vary depending on individual circumstances, but on average, it may take 2-3 years to complete the necessary coursework at a community college before transferring to a university. This can also depend on factors such as credit transferability and course availability.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites I should complete at community college before transferring for a Physics degree?

It is important to research the specific requirements of the university you plan on transferring to, as they may have specific prerequisites for their Physics program. However, in general, completing courses in math, physics, and other sciences can help prepare you for a Physics degree at a university.

5. What are some tips for a successful transfer from a community college to a university for a Physics degree?

First, make sure to carefully research and communicate with advisors from both institutions to ensure a smooth transfer process. It is also important to maintain a strong academic record and participate in extracurricular activities or research opportunities related to Physics. Networking with professors and peers in the field can also be beneficial for future opportunities.