Transferring data to/from older TI

In summary, if you want to back up data and transfer programs between your TI-86 and PC, you will need TI Connect CE software and a USB cable. The software can be downloaded for free from Texas Instruments' website.
DaleSwanson
I have a TI-86, which uses the older 1/8 inch connection. I would like to be able to back up the data (programs and constants I've defined) to my PC in case the TI gets wiped. I would also like to be able to write programs on my PC and then transfer them to the TI. Today I ordered a cable to connect the TI to USB.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006BXBS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have no experience with connecting my TI to my PC, so I am looking for what programs I will need. Is there some sort of TI BASIC compiler for the PC so that I can write and debug programs and then only transfer them over once I have them working? Failing that, is it reasonable to use something like QBASIC to debug TI BASIC programs?

I notice when I download files from a http://www.ticalc.org/pub/86/basic/science/" that they come in .86p files. When I open them up in notepad they are largely readable, but clearly there is a formatting issue. What program does one use to convert a program written in notepad into a .86p file ready to be used by the TI?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble connecting your TI-86 to your PC. I have a similar setup, so I may be able to help.

For programming, the best option would be to use TI Connect CE software. It allows you to write, debug, and transfer programs from your PC to the TI-86. You can download it for free from Texas Instruments' website.

For transferring data from the TI-86 to the PC, you'll need the cable you ordered from Amazon. Once you have it, you'll be able to transfer .86p files from your TI-86 to the PC with the TI Connect CE software. You can then open the .86p files in Notepad and view the code.

Hope this helps!

Related to Transferring data to/from older TI

1. How do I transfer data from an older TI calculator to a newer one?

To transfer data from an older TI calculator to a newer one, you will need a link cable and the appropriate software. Connect the link cable to the two calculators and follow the instructions in the software to complete the transfer.

2. Can I transfer data from a newer TI calculator to an older one?

In most cases, it is not possible to transfer data from a newer TI calculator to an older one. This is because the newer models use a different operating system and data format that is not compatible with the older models.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred between TI calculators?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred between TI calculators. This limit varies depending on the specific models being used, but it is typically around 100 kilobytes.

4. How can I transfer data between a TI calculator and a computer?

To transfer data between a TI calculator and a computer, you will need a link cable and the appropriate software. Connect the link cable to the calculator and the computer, and follow the instructions in the software to complete the transfer.

5. Are there any alternative methods for transferring data between TI calculators?

Yes, there are some alternative methods for transferring data between TI calculators, such as using a microSD card or a wireless adapter. However, these methods may not be compatible with all TI calculator models and may require additional equipment or software.